Drop to flat bar conversion

Hi guys
Just signed up today so hello.
Been a mtb rider most of my life and inherited a giant ocr2 3/9 speed road bike.
I’ve given it a go in Lock down and clocked up a few miles but just can’t get used to the drop bars, so have decided to convert over to flat bars as i do like the ride of the bike being very nippy.
The rear derailleur is a shimano tiagra rd 4400 and front derailleur a shimano sora.
I understand the stem and handlebars need changing and new cables and brakes etc but not sure if there is any shifters compatible With the rear derailleur.
I’m thinking i should just change over to a mtb 3/9 front shifters and derailleurs to match. BUT!! will that work on my 9 cassette that came with the bike?

Thanks for any replies in advance

Max

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    You are lucky you are on 9 speed, so basically everything 9 speed MTB is compatible with everything 9 speed road.
    So, all you need is a pair of MTB 9 speed shifters and you're good to go. You also need a pair of generic brake levers
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Word of warning, drop bar frames are shorter (for the same nominal size) than flat bar frames, as the hand hold positions are in front of the end of the stem. To use a drop bar frame with flat bars and get a good riding position you may need to fiddle with things like saddle position on the seatpost, a layback seatpost and/or a longer stem.
    As Ugo says, you can use either Shimano MTB 9 speed shifters or flat bar road shifters (Tiago/Ultegra) although MTB ones will be easier to find.
    Brake levers you need road pull, MTB (pull ratio, so for v-brakes or most cable discs) levers WILL NOT WORK (unless they are the older ones with selectable cable pull).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you lads that’s well appreciated and have found the levers which are adjustable from v to cantilever and yes rookie i was think it would change the ride position, so will go for flat bars and go for a slightly longer stem as mine is 110mm and the clamp is 26mm so need to change due to most mtb handlebars are 31.8
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Road and MTB front mechs need different cable pull.You can not use a MTB shifter with a road front mech. The next problem is that road frames do not have much room around the tyre /seat tube to fit a MTB front mech. Good luck.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    lesfirth said:

Road and MTB front mechs need different cable pull.You can not use a MTB shifter with a road front mech. The next problem is that road frames do not have much room around the tyre /seat tube to fit a MTB front mech. Good luck.

I've used a 9 speed road shifter with a MTBike mech no problem... maybe a triple is a bit more problematic...
    left the forum March 2023
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    9 speed shimano mtb and road components are interchangeable. The issue with cable pull differences is from ten speed onwards.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    edited July 2020
    david37 said:

9 speed shimano mtb and road components are interchangeable. The issue with cable pull differences is from ten speed onwards.

The above is correct regarding rear derailleurs.
    I was unable to get a Tiagra triple front mech to work with an Alivio shifter. The shifter moved the mech about 50% more than required and no amount of fiddling with the cable could get it working to what I considered was an acceptable standard. I have an unknown MTB front mech fitted now which works fine but it is too close to the rear tyre and limits tyre size. Most MTB front mechs could not be fitted, there is not enough room behind the seat tube. I think the solution is some Tiagra flat bar shifters but this bike was a collection a bits I had. The project stopped there and it has been hung up in the garage for the last 3 years.
    I taught myself to fix bikes when I was about 14 and that was a long ,long time ago.I have never paid anyone to work on a bike. However it could be that I am not as good at fixing bikes as I think I am.Let us know how your project goes.

• Maxhammer80
    Maxhammer80 Posts: 3
    edited July 2020
    i hear you guys and have similar experience as les regarding working on bikes from a young age. i have read the issue with what david said about mtb and road mechs not compatible on other threads googling the topic.
    i see where les is coming from as i've just noticed the clearance from tyre to down tube and these compact frames won't allow a mtb clamp front derailleur, as the one fitted has a one bolt braze clamp. so as regard to the rear it looks almost straight forward "i think" :smile: but will look further into it and hopefully post results soon.
    just an after thought, would hybrid or city road bike mechs work because of the similarities of frame build?

thanks guys your input is so valuable

max