Vector 2S giving me random intervals on Zwift.... diagnosis?

The signal from my vector pedal keeps dropping out on Zwift. Normally results in missing interval targets, or more frustratingly during group rides I can be going steady and then my avatar stops pedalling and I go flying out the back of the group. Have had to ditch a couple of rides entirely as I can manage the distance at a steady pace, but yo-yo-ing off the back of the bunch is just too much.

Possible causes?
a) I only changed the battery a couple of weeks ago-should be ok
b) weak signal from pedal to ant+ dongle in laptop
c) some other interference

What sort of battery life should I be getting- surely more than 30hours?
Should I try a USB extension lead and move the dongle closer to the pedal, or a signal booster as suggested on zwiftinsider?

Any ideas?

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Can you do a short test with the laptop (assuming you are using one) with the ANT+ dongle very close to the pedal? Would seem to be a quick test.

I had quite a lot of interference when I was trying to run TrainerRoad on my phone and Zwift on my laptop, was resolved by turning off all of the other connections I had live at the time.

• I suppose I could. Normally have the laptop sitting in front of the handlebars just far enough to be out of the sweat zone. To get the dongle closer to the pedal would mean somewhere to the side of the bike (where I wouldn't be able to see the screen). It's a bit unpredictable, but probably happens half a dozen times over the course of the last hour or hour and a half sessions I've done.

If I did get no dropout, what's the technical fix? An extension lead or a booster of some kind?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I guess the USB extension would be the best bet. They are hardly expensive either.
  • Fingers crossed it is this. I was worried it was a sign my pedal pod was on it's way out, or that it was going to start going through batteries at an unhealthy rate. Will report back....
  • Seems no better with the dongle swapped to USB port on the opposite side of my laptop away from the stereo out lead and as close to the pedal as I can manage- so the dongle is just in front of the left handlebar hood.

Last night I had so many dropouts while contesting the third stage of the Zwift etape that I got off and put a fresh battery in. Further drops ensued while I worked my way back up through half the places I lost and eventually I threw in the towel before I blew up completely. My Garmin watch seemed to register the same drops as zwift which implies it's a transmission problem rather than a reception issue.

I reckon the vector pedal is about five years old, but quite low mileage. I'm assuming this is fairly terminal, don't expect Garmin likely to refurbish the pedal. Thoughts?
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Thoughts?

Go Favero Assioma next time you buy a power meter.

• Oil on the battery contacts didn't make any odds. The last Ultegra stages in the land due in the post tomorrow. Probs refit my old look keos.