Fulcrum 650b Wheel Freehub Removal

jash15
jash15 Posts: 8
Hi all,

Was just trying to figure out how on earth to get this freehub off the axle on my fulcrum racing 7 db 650b wheel. I've got the older racing sport db's and that has a flat on the axle, flat on the freehub retaining nut. This one has a flat on the nut, but nothing on the axle. Been looking at it for the last 10 mins and cant see any way to get this off, am I missing something obvious here? Does anyone know how this is supposed to be removed?

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Maybe a flat on a nut between the freehub and the outer nut if it has one at all? Can't tell from pics, sorry.

Possibly an Allen key may slide down into one side of the axle to hold while undoing?

Just guessing but worth a look. I had a similar axle but the Allen key fitting was fully visible at edge of both drive and non drive side axle ends.

I'm sure someone else will know exactly what you need to do?
  • jash15
    Unfortunately the axle is round all the way through the centre, so nowhere to hold it with an Allen key.

Only flat seems to be on the nut
  • reaperactual
    Sorry Pal. Never come across that type before. Again I'm sure someone else would be able to help you out.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IMlARo8AiFM

Looks like you may have taken the axle out unnecessarily if this is the same as yours?
  • jash15
    Mine are 12mm thru axle so are a different design to that one, cheers anyway
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Ah right, sorry.
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2020
    Hi Pal. Me again. Download PDF 'Maintenance Card, Fulcrum' scroll down to a similar looking set up to yours.

Interesting to note the cap you're trying to undo is probably left hand thread and so needs to be turned clockwise to take off!

Reattach non drive side cap and this may enable you to get the drive side off.
  • jash15

Hi Pal. Me again. Download PDF 'Maintenance Card, Fulcrum' scroll down to a similar looking set up to yours.

Interesting to note the cap you're trying to undo is probably left hand thread and so needs to be turned clockwise to take off!

Reattach non drive side cap and this may enable you to get the drive side off.

Cheers mate, but I've already tried looking through them, and mine is different. The end cap has no features and is just attached via an o ring anyway so would just spin.
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2020
    Baffled by this one Mate! Like looking at a Chinese puzzle box.

I assume there must be a way, can't tell what that would be.

Not ideal but besides clamping axle into a vise like maintenance card suggests, can't think of anything else that would work.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Could it be that the cap on the freehub side is only "press fit", like Hope hubs.... in which case a bench vise would help. Problem with these things is that when they are not serviced regularly, they tend to seize on the axle
    left the forum March 2023