Hambini. An utter tool?

2»

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

But he's just an engineer.

Just an engineer?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,472
    Ben6899 said:

Just an engineer?
    Yup. 10 a penny.

Are you in awe or something?
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324

Ummm, don't want to break this to any of you but if you watch his videos he will actually tell you that press fit is a better solution than threaded, and he's right - if only the bike manufactures actually made things properly.

Press fit bearing are everywhere in all sorts of high tech/stress/critical applications. And they work perfectly, because the engineering is done well and within defined tolerances.

The argument that a bike frame isn't as costly as an aeroplane so we should just accept this rubbish is, well... rubbish. If a brand is asking for several thousand pounds for a frame then we have every right to expect that it is made well, and within the tolerances defined by the bits we put in it.

yeah this is correct! he actually states in one video that technically all BB`s are press fit!
  • First.Aspect
    spatt77 said:

Ummm, don't want to break this to any of you but if you watch his videos he will actually tell you that press fit is a better solution than threaded, and he's right - if only the bike manufactures actually made things properly.

Press fit bearing are everywhere in all sorts of high tech/stress/critical applications. And they work perfectly, because the engineering is done well and within defined tolerances.

The argument that a bike frame isn't as costly as an aeroplane so we should just accept this rubbish is, well... rubbish. If a brand is asking for several thousand pounds for a frame then we have every right to expect that it is made well, and within the tolerances defined by the bits we put in it.

yeah this is correct! he actually states in one video that technically all BB`s are press fit!
    Oh, because bearings are in the threaded shells. Wow. Insight. Only they dont creak. Why is that?
  • First.Aspect
    oxoman said:

First Aspect. Good Engineers are not 10 a penny, however current generation of so called trained change part engineers are rubbish. Trust you dont fly on any planes.

No, really, they are.

Perhaps I'm just even smarter than Hambini thinks he is (I'm not, really, I'm rather average). I'm just not staggered as I'm supposed to be.

Take his video on ceramic bearings, for example. The GCN guys loved it. Like wow, ceramic bearings (my toilet is ceramic) are supposed to be perpetual motion machines but aren't. O. m. g.

But it was no more surprising than the observation that cheese is softer than a cheese knife.

Am I missing something ?
  • pblakeney said:

He is a complete and utter bar steward, as is the OP for drawing my attention to him.
    I now want to buy a Time frame. >:)

You are welcome. :)
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • I am not a violent man but ..... Zach Gallardo.

https://youtu.be/n8U-fPHSKYU
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Am I missing something ?

life, maybe.

• Hambini in the videos is an act. It draws viewers which means he get paid. In real life I'm sure hes a normal.engineer. on house tube you get hambini. It's a stage name. What he talks about is not nonsense though. There is truth there and alot of shock jock showmanship which turns off many.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I don't dislike him but I'm not a huge fan. I watch his videos though, not for the sweaty rants but the actual engineering insight (what he's actually good at). He's good at pointing out the crap manufacturing and QC, because if he didn't no-one would.

He must know what he's doing considering he supplies bottom brackets to a handful of world tour teams
  • Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

Just an engineer?
    Yup. 10 a penny.

No. I'm an engineer and I found your comment a little dismissive. That's all.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • First.Aspect

Hambini in the videos is an act. It draws viewers which means he get paid. In real life I'm sure hes a normal.engineer. on house tube you get hambini. It's a stage name. What he talks about is not nonsense though. There is truth there and alot of shock jock showmanship which turns off many.

I think there is genuinely something quite off about him, terms of the number of pretty bad social media run-ins he has with people.

He does make some good points, though not terribly surprising from the snippets that have made it to other sites I read. And it is just a bit childish to be railing against marketing hype, because that is all around us all of the time.
  • First.Aspect
    Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Just an engineer?
    Yup. 10 a penny.

Well there are quite a lot of you... In my line of work there is a huge over supply of chemists for some reason. As a chemist I have just had to accept that I'm not special.

The point I'm making is that as a reasonably technically and mechanically literate person, it not correct to worship the guy as a saviour of honesty and insight.

Albeit I only saw the bearings video on GCN, tried to read his alleged debunking of aero-wheel claims and the other week a vid on carbon frames popped up on road.cc, but most of what he says seems to fall into either the "what did you expect?" or "so what?" category.

Which itself is fine, without the aggression, accusations and wotnot.
  • First.Aspect
    oxoman said:

FA I still disagree with you regarding engineers. Yes there are lots around, but a lot of the more recently qualified ones are not capable of engineering their way out of a paper bag. This is both electrically and mechanically, we struggle getting engineers that can and will get their hands dirty or can overcome or adapt to keep things running, navy engineers being an exception.

Ah, well, if we are talking about a working world full of snowflakes, then I agree with you.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457
    Would argue that the vast majority of the population wouldn't have a scooby on the difference between hardness and toughness and the relative properties of steel and ceramic. As a stress engineer I have found myself having to give quick recaps on plasticity to design engineers...

So, someone like hambini explaining it in a relatively simple way is quite interesting. Ultimately that's an important part of any engineers job, albeit with a lot less swearing.

• First.Aspect
    Mmm. "Public understanding of science" is a valuable thing, so we don't become like the Eloi, but he isn't what you'd call a poster child for it.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    FWIW I find him mildly irritating, pretty offensive & quite funny all in equal measure.

I have to say I did enjoy his recent video about the Trek frame which a guy had sent him.

The faults he pointed out on the BB area were quite horrendous really.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    The Durain rider of bottom brackets. An odious personality, and clearly a bully.

Obviously the only products that work correctly just happen to be the ones he makes money from.

I can easily imagine him sitting alone at work having alienated everyone with his personality. Hope his channel dies off soon.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    50x11 said:

The Durain rider of bottom brackets. An odious personality, and clearly a bully.

Quite possibly.
    50x11 said:

Obviously the only products that work correctly just happen to be the ones he makes money from.

Except the products he has called out as being good and properly made. There has been a few. He hasn't said every bike is poorly manufactured in the BB area.

• Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457
    Meh, I can imagine that a lot of the people he works with love it, because a lot of engineers are childish, and often have slightly, shall we say, out of date, views.

• Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Just an engineer?
    Yup. 10 a penny.

Well there are quite a lot of you... In my line of work there is a huge over supply of chemists for some reason. As a chemist I have just had to accept that I'm not special.

The point I'm making is that as a reasonably technically and mechanically literate person, it not correct to worship the guy as a saviour of honesty and insight.

Albeit I only saw the bearings video on GCN, tried to read his alleged debunking of aero-wheel claims and the other week a vid on carbon frames popped up on road.cc, but most of what he says seems to fall into either the "what did you expect?" or "so what?" category.

Which itself is fine, without the aggression, accusations and wotnot.
    Yeh the title is overused - always ask an "engineer" their credentials. Anyway...

I totally agree it's off to worship him for honesty and insight, but I'll defer to his aerodynamics knowledge. The rest, well I could figure out myself if I had the time, supplies of frames and a mate with a CAT scanner or whatever tech they use to NDT the frames.

All that said, I think it's good that someone is out there calling out the bullshit.
    Ben

• ibr17xvii said:

FWIW I find him mildly irritating, pretty offensive & quite funny all in equal measure.

This. Although there's no way I'd ever want to spend too much time around him.....in person or in YouTube world.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,714
    I haven't watched any of his videos for ages, I suspect he's more likeable in real life than on his videos, I just think he's a bit too offensive at times given it's a public platform. If he edited his stuff down a bit I'd probably watch more.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • neilrobins
    neilrobins Posts: 102
    Whether you enjoy, agree, dislike his presenting style I doubt he cares. His debunking of mythology within cycling is worth the watch. As with some other posters I always thought threaded BB were better until he pointed out that they were also pushfit (within an threaded housing) it made me reevaluate my own frame and components. It can be a hard watch (I own a Cervelo and Zipp wheels) but worse is the manufacturing crap that we put up with and never argue.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    owner of my local bike shop has 2 of Hambinis BB's and really rates them. he bought one for his own bike then immediately bought another. I enjoy the vlogs and he can get wearing but the recurring theme is if the bikes were made properly he wouldnt be able to say anything. The Canyon with the sign off sheet was good, the OPEN and the companies lack of response is enlightening - I thought they were supposed to be good. Then there is the bike speak by makers who claim X and Y and he highlights the science that refutes the claim
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,548
    oxoman said:

Whilst he can be vulgar, he never says anything that cannot be backed by sound engineering practices or knowledge. Just considering do I need to get one of his BB,s.

Just skim-watched the one on the OPEN U.P. frame. Hmm.

Think I'm going to disagree with you Oxo on a few things. He says plenty in that video that indicates either laziness or lack of honesty or both.

The QC information is perhaps useful, but would have been a lot more credible if he'd done all that measuring and assessment on a new frame, not one that's had (how many?) BB's installed and removed several times already, by person or persons unknown, qualified, skilled and with right equipment, or not. The carbon voids issue is serious, but not a single picture or actual test image result in the video? Just "my NDT guy"... found this? Curious he'll show OPEN's website on screen being scrolled, but not a hint of anything to back up the actual claims he's making? Why?

The funny part was his final fix, and satisfaction that he's made the frame usable by fitting his own BB. He hasn't. He's f**ked it. :D

He has rendered the frame impossible to build up. Neither the rear brake hose line nor the derailleur cables are fitted on that frame, and the BB cable guide plate is installed. He's demo'd with Shimano (double) cranks, so probably not a wireless groupset. Once you install the BB, especially one like that with the full width tube, you're stuffed trying to do those things.

Trust me, I have two Open frames, I know this. :)

You have to pull all his work *out* of the frame and start again. Good luck with that.

I'd also be very wary of claims that the owner contacted Open, and got "no response". I've emailed them a few times over the years, and been more than a little surprised that I've had responses pretty fast, and pretty comprehensively to queries about parts, assembly procedures, geometry queries and more. And I am *not* an original owner of a frame.

I'd assume there was a response from OPEN, just perhaps not the one the owner wanted. But it's a better story to say they just didn't respond at all, no?

He may be a good engineer, and the actual technical stuff he's on about is fine. Maybe his BB's are very good devices. Just don't let him install it. And don't believe everything he says (or doesn't say). DYOR for sure.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

Think I'm going to disagree with you Oxo on a few things. He says plenty in that video that indicates either laziness or lack of honesty or both.

The QC information is perhaps useful, but would have been a lot more credible if he'd done all that measuring and assessment on a new frame, not one that's had (how many?) BB's installed and removed several times already, by person or persons unknown, qualified, skilled and with right equipment, or not.

Installing and extracting bearings isn't going to change the alignment of the holes on each side. If it did there would be noticeable damage to the bearing shells. The poor alignment is from the factory.

Installing and extracting bearings isn't going to make the hole the bearing fits in too small either. That is from the factory.

Installing and extracting bearings is not going to make the hole the bearing fits in too big without noticeable damage to the hole. No damage, that is how the frame came from the factory.

These BB bearing fit and alignment issues are from the factory.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Just watched his Cervelo video! Jeez the guy's got some balls to say what he does, regardless of whether he's right about the quality of their engineering and QC (which he almost certainly is).
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,548
    wongataa said:

The QC information is perhaps useful, but would have been a lot more credible if he'd done all that measuring and assessment on a new frame, not one that's had (how many?) BB's installed and removed several times already, by person or persons unknown, qualified, skilled and with right equipment, or not.

Installing and extracting bearings isn't going to change the alignment of the holes on each side. If it did there would be noticeable damage to the bearing shells. The poor alignment is from the factory.

Installing and extracting bearings isn't going to make the hole the bearing fits in too small either. That is from the factory.

Installing and extracting bearings is not going to make the hole the bearing fits in too big without noticeable damage to the hole. No damage, that is how the frame came from the factory.

These BB bearing fit and alignment issues are from the factory.
    All true. The alignment issue is certainly disappointing from a manufacturer.

But this was a frame that had been built up, and ridden, and (if I understood correctly) even had one of Hambini’s BB’s installed but that hadn’t fixed the problem, which is why he had it back in the shop. Just fitting and removing bearings won’t change things much, but riding it (for how long? Didn’t say I think) with bearings/cups that aren’t a good fit will certainly wear the shell, far enough to be out of tolerance? Certainly out of round, which was one of the things he said was an issue.

You might be correct and it’s all factory poor QC. There’s a chance that not all the issues he highlights are that however.

And the frame still can’t be reassembled with his BB already in it.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS