Pike select 2020 cracked

Hi. My fork developed a crack on the caliper attachment. I noticed that when I was upgrading my brakes. Is this covered by warranty ??
picture => https://ibb.co/wNfM4LG

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    It may look small, but if it is a crack in the alloy and not just of the coating, then it could spread quite quickly.

The first thing I would do is to remove the caliper and take a really good look at the area of the crack. Use a bright light and a magnifying glass. The bit the caliper bolts to may be machined flat so you will easily be able to see the metal. You may be able to see that it is not the metal that is cracked, just the coating. If it is the coating you may decide that rubbing in a bit of glue to stop the crack in the coating from spreading may be preferable to being without your bike for what may be quite a while.

Crack in the alloy or the coating, either way If the fork is less than two years old then you still have a warranty claim (EU law I believe). The thing to do is to discuss this with the retailer you bought the bike from. Do it in written form, not just on the telephone, so use email with pictures. Ask them what they are going to do to fix this. I cannot give precise legal wording because I'm not a lawyer, but Google will help. Google "making a warranty claim" or similar and see what you get back.

Good luck.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to check if that bolt has bottomed out, if so that may impact a warranty claim, was the bike supplied like that?

Steve is referring to the UK Consumer Rights Act which mostly gives you better protection than the warranty, potentially for up to 6 years. The retailer is the one legally liable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • marcinuk
    marcinuk Posts: 14
    I checked the screw. Its Shimano screw that comes in a kit and it doesn't bottom out.
    Its not paint it's the whole thing cracked. I can see crack inside on thread.

I am a car mechanic and graduated two schools. I know the subject quiet well. I did check it well before even thinking of filing warranty claim.
    I did contact the shop I got it from. I emailed them of course with this picture and screenshot from twitter. I tweet that picture to RockShox but they didn't state exactly if that is covered by warranty.
    This is my second pike. First one I got was locked. Felt very harsh like small bumps sensitivity was none existent. They replaced the fork and now this.
    £600 item and so many problems.

I appreciate all your directions and comments regarding how to file a warranty claim but on that part im OK. I wanted to make sure if this IS warranty claim.
    This is magnesium alloy casting and indeed it will crack further very quickly.

Have you seen similar cases on this forum ?? Im asking since im new on here
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well you have a valid claim either under the warranty or the consumer rights act (or both).

Never seen this before, stripped threads isn't unknown, cracked bosses no.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • marcinuk
    Thread is OK. I always use torque wrench since I striped thread on bike few years ago.
  • marcinuk
    Hello everyone. Thank you again for your help. I thought to give you a quick update. I got full refund from CRC for the forks. I already bought Lyrik ultimate. Hope this will work :smile: