A tubeless workshop tale

2»

Comments

• Never had an issue going tubeless, bought an airshot booster as mentioned above and everytime has been relatively straight forward,

First wheelset i ever did was with Gorilla tape, other times have been with pre taped rims and then again with another i taped myself with "proper" tubeless tape.

Never used soapy water mixture just a clean and dry rim bed and tyre.
    Put tyre on rim, leave a little bit so you can pour the sealant straight into the tyre, put rest of tyre on and give it a shot with the airshot booster.

One thing i have always done is remove the valve core to allow a bigger air rush through with the booster, then when removing the booster try and keep as much air in as possible by quickly replacing the valve core after the booster is removed, pump back up to around 50psi with track pump and give it a good old spin and shake, leave overnight and job is a good un.

Always used Orange Sealant, still going strong a year later with no top ups.

Soapy water helps ease the tyre on. Soapy water helps seating of the tyre bu reducing friction. You also get to see if your tyre seats without having all the selant in. If it doesn't and you need more tape then it more of a pain if you have sealant in the tyre than without.

There is best practice for fitting tubeles tyres. Just because you have never had a problem does not mean your method couldn't be a bot slicker. Test the set up with soapy water. Then add sealant. If you rim keeps a tyre seated then the sealant can be injected. That's what I do.

The problem with tubeless tech is the sloppy approach to it by some manufacturers and some of it users. Then roadies come along and pick up those sloppy habits which you can get away with on MTBs but you cant on road wheels and tyres. Hense sloppy practice annoys me. I see mechanics doing it. Sorry for the rant.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Wow @dcwhite1984 I had to check to see that it wasn't me that wrote that! Substitute Continental Revo sealant for your Orange sealant and I could have written it 100%.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

Hmm UST is a standard, tubeless is not its just an 'indication'. If you think it's a standard please link to that standard (that is the written standard).

Never had an issue with most non tubeless tyres going up tubeless either, the occasional one gives grief.

There are tubeless standard like ust. That's what I am on about. When rim manufacturer deviate from that standard as many do the problems start. .
    But normal tubeless used by 99% of cyclists is not a standard, if you think it is, please link to it....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • @steve_sordy I left out the bit about trying to make my own tubeless booster with an empty bottle of coke, noone needs to read how that went :)
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443

@steve_sordy I left out the bit about trying to make my own tubeless booster with an empty bottle of coke, noone needs to read how that went :)

I hear that if you drop a Mento into a bottle of coke that will inflate your tubeless tyre right sharp! Messy though. :D
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    So an update to my OP. I went out for its second ride and got the bike dirty so I cleaned it. While cleaning the tyres I thought I had some chewing gum stuck to it so started pulling it off only to realise it was not chewing gum! The sealant has done its job as when I removed the tyre there was a 1 inch rusty nail stuck in my tyre. Nail removed and a quick search on YouTube as to what to do has now left me with a patch on the inside of my 2 ride old tyre. All I have to do now is to start the whole process again seating it back on the wheel! ☹️
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Tubeless, the gift that keeps on giving hassle free cycling
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    ed1973 said:

So an update to my OP. I went out for its second ride and got the bike dirty so I cleaned it. While cleaning the tyres I thought I had some chewing gum stuck to it so started pulling it off only to realise it was not chewing gum! The sealant has done its job as when I removed the tyre there was a 1 inch rusty nail stuck in my tyre. Nail removed and a quick search on YouTube as to what to do has now left me with a patch on the inside of my 2 ride old tyre. All I have to do now is to start the whole process again seating it back on the wheel! ☹️

So it worked well, got you home and didn't even know you had a puncture. Result :)
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    gomezz said:

ed1973 said:

So it worked well, got you home and didn't even know you had a puncture. Result :)
    I would totally agree. I got home no idea I had a puncture unlike having to try and fix it on the trail, I was more than happy!

• Never had an issue going tubeless, bought an airshot booster as mentioned above and everytime has been relatively straight forward,

First wheelset i ever did was with Gorilla tape, other times have been with pre taped rims and then again with another i taped myself with "proper" tubeless tape.

Never used soapy water mixture just a clean and dry rim bed and tyre.
    Put tyre on rim, leave a little bit so you can pour the sealant straight into the tyre, put rest of tyre on and give it a shot with the airshot booster.

One thing i have always done is remove the valve core to allow a bigger air rush through with the booster, then when removing the booster try and keep as much air in as possible by quickly replacing the valve core after the booster is removed, pump back up to around 50psi with track pump and give it a good old spin and shake, leave overnight and job is a good un.

Always used Orange Sealant, still going strong a year later with no top ups.

Soapy water helps ease the tyre on. Soapy water helps seating of the tyre bu reducing friction. You also get to see if your tyre seats without having all the selant in. If it doesn't and you need more tape then it more of a pain if you have sealant in the tyre than without.

There is best practice for fitting tubeles tyres. Just because you have never had a problem does not mean your method couldn't be a bot slicker. Test the set up with soapy water. Then add sealant. If you rim keeps a tyre seated then the sealant can be injected. That's what I do.

The problem with tubeless tech is the sloppy approach to it by some manufacturers and some of it users. Then roadies come along and pick up those sloppy habits which you can get away with on MTBs but you cant on road wheels and tyres. Hense sloppy practice annoys me. I see mechanics doing it. Sorry for the rant.
    I wasn't stating that my method was the best method, just offering my experience and what worked for me.
    Just like everything i do mechanically on my bike it could probabaly be a lot slicker but hey im no professional, just an over enthusiastic hobbyist.