HUNT Race Wide rear wheel??

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
Hi All,

I have a HUNT Race Wide rear wheel, second hand, today it developed a strange noise and wondered what it may be and if anyone can suggest how to cure it.
Its an intermittent "ting" sound not every turn of the pedals and sometimes it doesn't do it so its difficult to isolate whats causing it.
I'm wondering, as the rear wheel spokes are 2 cross, if it the one of the spokes is moving slightly against one of the crossed spokes as it does sound like a spoke thing.
Anyone had similar noises and how was it cured?
I don't think its cranks, BB, pedals etc and if I was to guess which side it was coming from I'd say the None drive side of the wheel.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards.

Tony.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    Check to see if one of the spokes is loose.
    Gently bounce the wheel while stationary and see if that causes it.
  • tonysj
    singleton said:

Check to see if one of the spokes is loose.
    Gently bounce the wheel while stationary and see if that causes it.

Thanks for the advice, will check this later.
    T
  • cookie56
    cookie56 Posts: 19
    I had similar with Hunt Aero Race wide rear- very difficult to pinpoint, noise mainly appeared under heavy load (uphill) and a virtually dismantled the whole bike before isolating the wheel issue. I applied a dab of lube to each of the crossing points and that seemed to reduce the issue, though it still came back occasionally. Im surprised there are not more people with issues. I was around 100kg at the time so it may be a load issue ( though under the Hunt specs)
  • tonysj
    cookie56 said:

I had similar with Hunt Aero Race wide rear- very difficult to pinpoint, noise mainly appeared under heavy load (uphill) and a virtually dismantled the whole bike before isolating the wheel issue. I applied a dab of lube to each of the crossing points and that seemed to reduce the issue, though it still came back occasionally. Im surprised there are not more people with issues. I was around 100kg at the time so it may be a load issue ( though under the Hunt specs)

Thanks cookie57,
    I think i may try a slither of lube at the crossover points. It is similar to like you said, under load but i get it occasionally putting power down when seated on the flat. Im only 76kg so will just try the lube and see what happens as it was fine last time out but only done 2 rides on rhem since i got them (secondhand).

singleton,
    Ive had the wheel out and bounced/flexed the rim and cant get the noise to ting. Ive tested the spoke tension and they all seem under the same tension. One thing I noted was they seem to flex more than I thought they would! but thats just me and probably the dedign of the flat spokes in the wheel.
    Will update you on if the lube works.
    Thanks again.
    T.
  • tonysj
    Well guys its still the same after lubing the spokes. Ive bounced the wheel but nothing soundwise apparent by doing this.
    Im unsure what it could be but thinking its the cassette to hub that may be the issue.
    Any other things i vould check??
    T.
  • Are you sure it's the wheel?
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • tonysj

Are you sure it's the wheel?

As certain as I can be. I dont think its coming from anywhere else as far as i can tell, pedals, qr, cranks/bb it is annoying and im surprised other owners of the wheels haven't come across this issue before as it cant be just my wheel lol.
    T.
  • Well with noises they are often not it seems. Given how you have diagnosed the issue I would wager money it's not the wheel.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • tonysj

Well with noises they are often not it seems. Given how you have diagnosed the issue I would wager money it's not the wheel.

Ok, I will have a good look at things and try and eliminate them one by one. One thing ive just realised is the QR is a Hunt one that came with the wheel. I suppose it could be that!
    Will update as i work through items.
    T.
  • k3vinjam3s
    k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Cant you put a didferent wheel on to determine its the wheel. I had a carbon rear wheel that would sound horrible on one bike then silent on another. Sometimes its the combination of how both bike and wherl flexes together that makes odd noises.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I had a DT Swiss wheel that used to do this particularly when under load climbing.

A bit of lube where the spokes cross, a bit of lube where the spokes enter the hub & checking they were all tight enough sorted it for me.
  • tonysj

Cant you put a didferent wheel on to determine its the wheel. I had a carbon rear wheel that would sound horrible on one bike then silent on another. Sometimes its the combination of how both bike and wherl flexes together that makes odd noises.

I will swap the rear wheel back to my original set as i bought the Hunt as the other rear went into the LBS for repairs. Im fairly certain its the wheel but will check with my other wheel.
    T.
  • tonysj
    ibr17xvii said:

I had a DT Swiss wheel that used to do this particularly when under load climbing.

A bit of lube where the spokes cross, a bit of lube where the spokes enter the hub & checking they were all tight enough sorted it for me.

Will lube each contact point with the hub and wheel as i only lubed the spoke crossovers.
    T.