New Endurance Road Bike Steel vs Ti

Hi all,

Looking to get a new road bike to complement my Carbon bike. This bike will be for some light touring, long rides, hoping to do JOGLE. Looking for something comfortable and not too heavy and cumbersome that will be tiring to lug around. I like hilly rides generally

Not quite sure whether to go for a light steel 853 bike eg. Genesis, Fairlight or go for Ti from Enigma, Reilly etc

There seem to be enthusiasts on both sides.

Is there much of a difference? Is one better than the other if looking at decent brands for both?

Many thanks

Comments

• An endurance bike can be any of the main materials. An alumni bike like the Mason resolution with big tyres and low tyre pressures can be just as comfy as ti or steel. My advice would be don’t get hung up on frame material. Look at geometry tyre clearance and whether you want discs or not. Then decide what suits you best/looks good within your budget. Ideal if you can see it in the flesh first and get a test ride but that’s not always possible.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited July 2020
    I don't think there's much in it these days between Ti and some of the modern steel tubing in terms of weight and both will pretty much last forever. In terms of ride feel that's more down to whoever builds the frame, and what tubing diameter and butting, geometry etc they pick regardless of the material but fwiw I have a Colina Abanicos https://colinabikes.com/product/abanicos-bike/ and it has a firm but supple ride which leans to the firmer side on 50mm carbon rims and more to the supple side on shallow section wheels like Zondas.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    edited July 2020
    Deleted, posted on wrong thread...
  • iantr
    iantr Posts: 31
    XCR perhaps combines the qualities of both materials..?

https://www.enigmabikes.com/pages/enigma-extensor
  • majster
    majster Posts: 66
    It's all very confusing. There are some really nice steel frames out there in 853 or 951 steel tubing. Steel is also cheaper. However, don't want to go down the steel route then regret not getting titanium. I do like hills so the thought of dragging a heavy bike is not appealing.

Have any of you owned both titanium and steel bikes and can you share your experiences?
  • leskenn
    leskenn Posts: 5
    Ha d 531, 653, 853 frames. Then went to carbon and the ride quality with the same wheels and similar position was so much better. So much nicer over rough surfaces.

I'd not be buying another steel bike but do fancy a Ti frame for winter. PX have a good selection.
  • shortfall
    Haven't ridden modern steel but the reviews I read are positive. Stuff at the racier end appears to ride just like carbon but without the fabled springy ride. Again it's down to the focus of whoever designs and builds the frame. My Ti is racy but the ride feels more involving than some of the carbon frames I've had and de finitely less harsh than alu stuff I've had. A lot of the differences can be balanced out by different wheel and tyre choices though so don't get too hung up on frame material. I think both steel and ti can be built to similar weights these days so don't expect one to be significantly lighter than the other and typically they'll come in around 500 grammes more than carbon which I've never noticed on the road.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I own both a Ti and an 853 bike. Was going to respond at length but can only offer anecdotal based opinions that don't really add to what's been said above:

shortfall -
    shortfall said:

I don't think there's much in it these days between Ti and some of the modern steel tubing in terms of weight... In terms of ride feel that's more down to whoever builds the frame, and what tubing diameter and butting, geometry etc they pick regardless of the material...

aberdeen_lune-

... don’t get hung up on frame material...

shortfall -
    shortfall said:

...it's [ride quality is] down to the focus of whoever designs and builds the frame... don't get too hung up on frame material...

Talk to bespoke makers, test ride what you can, go with what looks/feels good, don't get hung up on frame material.

• majster
    majster Posts: 66
    Ok thank you all. With long multi day and challenging rides in mind such as JOGLE, NC500 and others, what would be a fast yet comfortable road bike. Ideally something with mudguard and at least rear pannier mounts.

Thanks
  • shortfall
    Them Planet X bikes look like amazing value, no idea who makes this version but it looks like a steal.