Does this bike look too small?

hcasj25
hcasj25 Posts: 2
edited July 2020 in Road beginners
Please ignore my foot placement on the pedals....the picture was taken as soon as I got on the bike before I got situated. Anyway, I was in the market for my first road bike and it was incredibly difficult to find an extra small in an entry level bike. At my local bike shop they had a 2017 Liv Avail SL 1 Disc for a close out price but it’s an XXS. I am 5’2, so according to the chart, I really need an XS. I went to look at the bike anyway because they said they wouldn’t be opposed to seeing how it fit since I’m on the low end of an XS, and the person at my local bike shop said it fit perfectly. I know how important the size of the bike is, so I just wanted to get some other opinions. I know this isn’t the best
picture because my feet aren’t placed properly, but just to get an idea.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,578
    Right leg looks fairly straight so I'd say not unusably small.
    A larger size with a shorter stem and less seat post on display might be better though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,914
    According to the size guide I googled you are bang in the middle of an XS.
    https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/liv-design-bikefit
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,914
    If you look at the bit about what the pros ride they mostly seem to ride smaller size bikes than the guide recommends - so you have a pro fit there - if it's the same as the men that's probably to get a lower front end and a longer stem will be used to compensate for the reach. If you are fairly young, fairly flexible or perhaps have a longer torso/shorter legs than most women that set up might suit you. It is hard to say for sure though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,578
    Another rule of thumb (and it is only a generalisation guide) is that when in your normal riding position your front axle should be hidden from view by your bars.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I think it looks spot on.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited July 2020
    As stated above it looks bang on to me.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I agree with the others, it looks fine to me.

Just be careful of any toe overlap if you turn the handlebars a long way.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,004
    Looks like you might be able to slightly raise the seat, should be fine if you can bend those elbows a bit to get more aero and not look quite so stretched out.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    Looks like the stem is reasonably long (10cm maybe) so you could shorten it by a couple of cm if you feel too stretched out.
  • Looks fine to me.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    The only thing I would say is the stem looks a fraction long, and I mean a fraction, maybe 10mm. Torso to upper arm angle of 90 degrees should be very comfortable, it looks like your angle is ever so slightly more than 90 degrees. As stated before, when on the hoods looking down without moving from your natural position, does the handlebar tops block the view of the front hub? If you can see the hub behind the handlebar then the stem is too long, if you can see the hub in front of the handlebar stem is too short. But, you need to get saddle fore and aft right before doing this. See below.

Saddle height looks bob on (judging by your right leg being straight with your instep (should be heel) on the pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Only possible issue that could affect the reach either way is the correct fore and aft position of the saddle.

As a basic starting point get your feet in the correct position on the pedals (balls of the feet over the pedal spindle), now put your crank arms parallel with the ground. Get an assistant to drop a plumb bob (weight on a bit of string) from just below you forward kneecap (where a doctor hits with a little hammer to make your reflex jerk your leg!) the vertical string should lie in line with the pedal axle centre.

If it falls forward you need to move your saddle back a touch. If it falls behind move the saddle forward a touch. You may have a slight difference between legs, so split the difference using saddle fore and aft. This is a very basic way to get your saddle adjusted properly for correct centre of gravity on the bike.

Now go and do the test for stem length by viewing down at the front hub and checking the upper arm to torso angle.

Hope this helps.

PP