Shimano Dura Ace 9100 HT2 power meter- still have the power balance issue?

Hi all,
In the next few months Im considering buying the Aeroad CF SLX 9 Di2 disk. This bike comes with a shimano 9100 HT2 integrated power meter. I was doing some research today and more than one reputable source (DC Rainmaker and GPLama) noted that original unit suffered from a left right balance issue, i.e one side was under reporting.
Naturally, I dont want to spend money on a unit with such an issue. Today I spoke with a canyon sales rep via their site online chat tool and after checking with the workshop, they advised me that the unit on this bike no longer suffers from this problem.
Im here then looking for clarification:
1. Did shimano resolve this issue?
2. Are canyon yanking my chain ?
TIA.
Pete

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Nope, problem still exists. It's caused by how shimano manufacture their chainsets.

None shimano chainsets don't suffer the same problem.

I'm sure Shane Miller will post an update when (if) shimano do rectify the problem in the future.
  • pete1336
    pete1336 Posts: 86
    Ok then...apart from the balance issue being a little off....is it still a reliable power meter..for example measuring 3 sec average power?
  • redvision
    No. It distorts the figures and so produces inconsistencies in data/ numbers.

On a brighter note, they work fine as a chainset :D
  • pete1336
    I'm really surprised that Canyon are still selling this power meter on top end bikes costing thousands when they know it's a faulty product. Surely they should be lambasted for this. They also royally pissed me off when telling me current units sold were fine. Not the reputable company I believed them to be. 👎😕
  • redvision
    edited July 2020
    Not sure it can be classed as faulty. It still gives some numbers, albeit inconsistent numbers.

The reason canyon and other bike manufacturers will be selling models equipped with this pm is that shimano are/ have been flogging them very cheap (not to individual consumers though) and it makes the bike more appealing and marketable if it is supplied with a pre installed pm.
  • pete1336
    Faulty in my book all day long. It doesn't provide accurate left right balance figures and as such can be considered as having a fault in that regard. Ergo it is faulty. That's my logic.