Alternative routes into Llandegla?

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
Hi all,

Llandegla is reopening soon but the car park is pre-book only and its already fully booked on weekends.

I don't want to annoy the local communities by parking in their villages or blocking the local roads, so am looking for an alternative way in.

Having a look on Google Earth there seems to be paths coming into Llandegla from the top end, either starting from the Ponderosa cafe or the Offa's Dyke path further east.

Are these ways in rideable, or private accesses only? Anyone know of any alternatives?

Thanks

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I know my brother got the train to Wrexham and rode up there. Nice warm up for you !
  • danlightbulb
    Nah got to drive to within a couple miles of the place.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited July 2020
    The only way you can officially ride at Llandegla is by paying for and using the carpark as it is a private enterprise.
    The whole point of the newly-introduced pre-booking system is to limit the number of riders on the trails.
    By 'sneaking in' without paying you are not contributing to the upkeep of the trails or the running of the centre. You will also be breaking the planning laws and potentially pissing off the local community, thereby putting any future development that One Planet Adventure have in jeopardy.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • danlightbulb
    Id happily pay to ride but its fully booked and i can only go weekends. Been waiting for this for months. Ill drop a fiver in the cafe when i ride past it.

I dont want to sneak in. There are public footpaths running through it arent there? I just want to ride in via another, public, route.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    You are missing the point Dan, the private company that runs the place is deliberately limiting their income so that all those attending can ride in safety. In addition to the points well made by JBA, what do you think will happen when you "drop a fiver in at the cafe"? It will draw attention to you (why are you giving us a fiver?) and I'm sure you don't want that. If it does not draw attention to you, then where do you think the fiver will end up - not in the same place the carpark money would that 's for sure.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852

Id happily pay to ride but its fully booked and i can only go weekends. Been waiting for this for months.

I appreciate that, Dan. We are all in the same boat. Waiting a few more weeks to do it safely and in line with local arrangements won't hurt though.
    What if you crash and need medical assistance? That will draw attention to the trail centre and questions will get asked about how many riders are there. It won't take too long before the powers that be work out that the rules aren't being obeyed and that could lead to the trail centre being closed again. Then no one can ride there!

One Planet Adventure, like all trail centre operators, aren't limiting numbers because they want to. They are doing it because they have to. They are probably desperate to get back to full operation and get cash flow again but COVID-19 hasn't gone away and if we start crowding places there is a good chance of a second surge and the country will have to go back in to lock down.

Be sensible and be safe.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • danlightbulb
    Ive seen loads of people park at the bottom of the driveway and ride up so they dont have to pay. Also the people who live locally will ride in via probably a few different routes and not contribute. When its closed at night people still do night rides there.

And ive been there on peak summer days when the car park is rammed full and yet as soon as youre out on the trails you barely see anyone.

So its not really a big issue.

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    So the rules don't apply to you then, because they are inconvenient.

What comes across is that you have decided to go, ask for an easy way to sneak in, fail to receive the advice or approval you were looking for and then provide excuses as to why it's OK after all.

How about ignoring what "loads of people" do and doing the right thing instead?
  • danlightbulb
    Ok I don't want to get into an argument about it.

The 'rules' are that Wales opens from 6th July.

Locals and people from farther afield will ride Llandegla without paying all the time. Do you think no-one has ridden Llandegla in the past 3 months?

I'm not 'sneaking in' if there are public rights of way already running through the place. There is nothing subterfuge about what I'm asking, I'm not asking for secret ways in, I'm just asking what other public accesses there are.

If the alternative accesses required jumping fences, or trespassing over private land, then I would not do it.

Its only the same as going to Penmachno or Marin or Cannock Chase - there are no controls on people there and multiple accesses. Why is it ok for hundreds to flock to Penmachno uncontrolled but not Degla? The health angle is a ruse.