Tour of Flanders sportive 2020....

Just wondering if anyone has any inside info / speculation / gossip on whether this will be rearranged for this year? The pro race is pencilled-in for Oct 18th, so Oct 17th is a possible date for the sportive.

If you were registered for the normal April version, what have they told you?

All thoughts & comments welcomed..!

Comments

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I have an entry. Last update was that it was valid if they held it later this year, since then , nothing.
    Looking at Flanders region situation I can’t see it going ahead and I don’t want to go this year. I think the race will be less of an event due to the calendar changes and I’d rather go when it’s ‘proper’.
    I ‘assume’ when they finally can it off , we’ll be offered a new entry for 2021 or a refund?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • carbonclem
    Update - its now been 'postponed' till April 2021(postponed to when it would be held next anyway ...)
    Looks like they are discouraging refunds and pushing people to defer entries. I've had my refund approved. :)
  • Going against the grain, but I would rather go when it's "not proper"... it usually attracts 20K riders, which make riding up the cobbled climbs impossible.

Paying a lot of money to walk up the Koppenberg and Paterberg was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. I love the race and I love those roads, but I will not ride the event again, as such.
    left the forum March 2023
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited September 2020

Going against the grain, but I would rather go when it's "not proper"... it usually attracts 20K riders, which make riding up the cobbled climbs impossible.

Paying a lot of money to walk up the Koppenberg and Paterberg was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. I love the race and I love those roads, but I will not ride the event again, as such.

I'd agree with you, I've scratched the itch and have no desire to ride the ToF sportive again.
    Having to queue for the Koppenberg was no fun then some mamil wiped out on it in front of me about halfway up which curtailed my attempt to ride up it.

Got to ride up the Paterberg mind and the Muur van Geraardsbergen was brilliant, loads of spectators cheering you on and fewer cyclists as it was only part of the longer routes.

It's worth doing once but no more than that I'd say.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    I agree with the above. It was very crowded when we did it but have done it and the others on our own several times since. In normal times Belgium is surprisingly easy to get to and many of those classic races are in the same area.

Staying in Kortrijk gives you a central starting point and the routes are easy to find.

• carbonclem
    I decided if I can travel next Easter, I’ll be in the canaries!
  • For balance - I rode it in 2017 with 9 mates.

I rode up every cobbled climb.

Got soaked for the first two hours then it dried out to a fine day.

Riding the Muur van G is right up there in my top 3 biking moments.

Watching Phil Gil coming up Koppenberg on the Sunday on his own still sends shivers down my spine .

We had hotel rooms right on the square in Oudenaarde.

Will definitely be back.

Just waiting till I can stomach Stroopwaffles again :-)
  • carbonclem
    They have announced there will be no spectators at the 2021 ToF. I suspect this may mean no 2021 sportive either?