Help me choose my next commuter bike now that commuting will forever be different...

I mostly commute to work by bike, an 8 mile journey from the outskirts to the middle of MK, about 2 miles on country road, then the rest on redway (dedicated cycle path for those in the know). I've done it for about 4 years now.

I started on a Genesis Equilibrium, then moved to a Genesis Flyer, and on last years C2W I bought a Cinelli Semper, which if I'm honest I regret as its a rubbish commuter choice.

With the changes to my working patterns, I'll be commuting less, likely with less stuff (a small bag rather than a pannier full), and things might be a bit more relaxed time wise.

So, I've been thinking about what to get next (sell the flyer and the semper), that ticks the followign boxes:

1) Hub gears. I know I know, they are a bit of a wattage suck, but it would make everything a bit more flexible - i.e. I could use it on the odd bit of multi day touring I do
2) Mud Guards, obvs
3) Steel
4) Dyno Lights
5) Something a bit different
6) I have to kind of love it
7) Oh and something that'll take 30mm+
8) I'm ambivalent about discs, not for or against

So, I've recently found myself being drawn to either the Genesis Day One Ltd (I am aware they don't make it anymore, but they pop up occasionally on Ebay) or the Genesis Smithfield. I also find myself drawn to old raleigh gents bikes.

As a side note, I always cycle in my work gear - I'm fit (and my gosh don't I know it) so pootling along at 15mph on the road doesn't get the HR up too much.

Any other ideas? Budget as all cycling budgets are, unlimited
Insert bike here:

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,130
    Brompton 3 speed? Flat enough round there and you don't have to carry a lock with you... 8 miles is OK, I used to do 12 on a Brompton and with a bit of tail wind, I could average 17-18 mph, I've even done 20 once
    left the forum March 2023
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010

Brompton 3 speed? Flat enough round there and you don't have to carry a lock with you... 8 miles is OK, I used to do 12 on a Brompton and with a bit of tail wind, I could average 17-18 mph, I've even done 20 once

Ugo, genius. I tested a brompton last year and it was a hoot, but I hadn't even considered it.

I might even think about an electric one....
    Insert bike here:
  • mpatts said:

8) I'm ambivalent about discs, not for or against

Why go to the effort of using fancy words, only to then use the equivalent small ones anyway? It's advisable to always use simple words over fancy terminology as it takes less time to type, can save on ink/paper and is far less discombobulating.

Also advisable is to choose disc brakes over rim brakes for a commuter. I find rim brakes can be great but not in the wet. As a commuter you will be doing a fair amount of miles in pissy weather. For that reason alone I would go for disc brakes. Hydro versions if you can.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,489
    Stop/start commuting in less than ideal conditions is hard on rims as I found out.
    I’m happy with rim brakes on my good bike but if I ever buy another commuting/foul weather bike it will have disc brakes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I was going to say Brompton too. Sounds perfect for your requirements and it's completely different to 'normal' bikes.

Easy to take on the train. Easy to out in a car. Take into shops with you etc.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Larry vs Harry Bullitt Cargobike?
    In Lizard Green.
    Beautiful.
  • mpatts
    I saw these, actually quite like them.

Ref the disc thing, I have them on my current commuter, didnt have them on the one it replaced. Not bothered either way, as in they'd neither put me off or put me on.
    Insert bike here:
  • mpatts said:

Ugo, genius. I tested a brompton last year and it was a hoot, but I hadn't even considered it.

I might even think about an electric one....
    The pedal powered one weighs around 11kg, which is OK to log up a flight of stairs or a hundred meters on a train platform... the electric will be significantly heavier and unless you are a body builder, you might find it a bit too heavy to carry around...
    left the forum March 2023
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Something a bit different albeit std drive chain ie not hub geared but Steel 4 season commuter with guard/rack mounts and dynamo hub light config available would be a Mason Resolute.
    I have the Bokeh as wanted even wider tyre option (with guards) and the ability to run 650b off rd if needed but so far 35mm G1s on 700c Hunt wheels has been fine. I've had no issues with Ultegra group set in 2 years of daily commute 10miles each way year round.
  • mpatts
    andy, funny you say that but I keep looking at Bokehs - mainly as I keep thinking "I wonder if I could cross on that" - as I use a Trek Crockett for Bokeh type adventres
    Insert bike here:
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    mpatts said:

andy, funny you say that but I keep looking at Bokehs - mainly as I keep thinking "I wonder if I could cross on that" - as I use a Trek Crockett for Bokeh type adventres

The Bokeh really is few bikes in one, esp if got a second wheelset ie 700c & 650b/27.5 with the grx group set. When I got mine grx wasn't fully released so I have std Ultegra bar the rear derailleur which is the grx/clutched version so I could fit a wider/bigger cassette on the 27.5 wheelset if I ever did serious bike packing