Upgrade Groupset 2006 Giant XTC SX

Hello

I'm wondering if I can bring my old sled into a semi modern state

I'm based in the Middle East and so all components need to be shipped in from the UK

The issue I have at the moment is that my left hand crank on my stock LX crank keeps dropping off under out of saddle riding, parts are getting hard to get hold of for this old Groupset

So the question is can I upgrade the Groupset?

What parts would be required?

New Bottom Bracket? If needed would a new BB fit an old frame, are the diameters the same or have they changed over 14 years?

New Freehub? My current cassette has 9 sprockets new ones 10 to 11 (Still on stock wheels)

Any advice would be appreciated, a new bike is out of the question due to the damage it would get in transit

Many thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You can fit anything up to a 12 speed system, with a few caveats. Your BB is likely to be BSA threaded, which supports every major crankset option, so no problem there. Your freehub will be Shimano 9 speed, which also supports Shimano 10 or 11 speed cassettes, as well as certain 12 speed cassettes from Sram, Sunrace and others. 12 speed Shimano might be a bit tricky.

Basically, choose what you want and there's probably something that will work.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2020

You can fit anything up to a 12 speed system, with a few caveats. Your BB is likely to be BSA threaded, which supports every major crankset option, so no problem there. Your freehub will be Shimano 9 speed, which also supports Shimano 10 or 11 speed cassettes, as well as certain 12 speed cassettes from Sram, Sunrace and others. 12 speed Shimano might be a bit tricky.

Basically, choose what you want and there's probably something that will work.

Just to add to whyamihere's sound advice. Modern 1x cranksets come in boost and non Boost variations. Safe to assume your older bike has non Boost quick release rear end so be careful to choose appropriately for suitable chainline.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    First decide whether you want to stick with a crank that has more than one ring. It is a big decision. The easy decision is to stay as you are, it is what you know and it will be at minimal cost.

The thing to consider is your current gear range, ie what is the gap between your fastest and your slowest gear? Do you really need a range that big? If you do then you are unlikely to get it with a 1x, but you probably will with a 2x.