Need help with BH Lynx bearings

moonshine
moonshine Posts: 1,021
edited June 2020 in MTB workshop & tech
my wife has a carbon BH Lynx 6 9.7 (26”) and it has never had a bearing change.
Same as this - https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/bh-lynx-6-first-ride-review/
I'm trying to work out what I need for a bearing change (without disassembling the bike and finding out I don't have / cannot source the right bearings etc)

I've emailed BH (3 times) and they have been less than helpful :( they said "Some articles cannot be bought online; they are only available at BH Stores. Therefore, we advise to approach the store were you bought the bike or you preferred BH Store so they can help you solve the problem." but there are no BH dealers / distributers in the UK - !!

they then suggested contacting 50Cycles, who apparently sells some BH spare parts -
I'll drop 50cycles an email - but in the mean time , has anyone got any ideas?

thanks

Gerry

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Just because it has never had a bearing change, it doesn't mean it needs one now!

What bearings by the way? Wheel, bottom bracket, hubs, headset, pivot, pedal?

That is enough of my challenge! Here is what to do.

Find a good bearing supplier that can supply ball bearings of the likely size range (ask on here for a recco), preferably that that offer double seals. By the way unless you have a bottom bracket that has replaceable bearings, you're best buying the whole thing.

Consult the weather forecast for a wet period, slaughter a goat and examine the entrails for confirmation.

Check the manufacturer's website for recommended tools, ignore it and bodge a compromise. A hammer, a flat-bladed screwdriver and some creativity can go a long way!

Do the necessary dismantling and examine the bearings, order them and pay for express delivery. Fit and forget for the next ten years. Go ride, just as the sun starts to shine again.

Good luck. :)
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    frame pivot bearings - I'd like to have the sizes / specs to hand before and various torques / exploded diagrams to hand before disassembly - especially if there are odd sizes in the frame that are hard to source - the blurb in the linked Bikeradar review say " All bearings supplied with the frame are mountain bike specific and produced by reputable manufacturer Enduro Bearings. "
    perhaps they will know -
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2020
    It is possible to remove seals carefully, clean, re-grease and replace seals without removing from frame if they are just sounding rough.

If they have play then there isn't any other option except to replace with new ones which is always a tricky job with or without correct bearing puller tools.

If they need to be replaced you will need to get access to the bearings in question and get size codes (bearing ID code) off the seals if they are standard size.

Example:-

If bearings aren't standard then the only way to identify them is to remove, measure internal diameter, outer diameter and width to find same replacements.