Where to ride?

Good Evening fellow cyclists. I am totally new to road cycling and I just purchased a super sweet and rather sexy Specialized Roubaix Sport. Such a sweet bike, but I need to figure out where to ride.

Is there anyone here from Los Angeles?

I have a hybrid that I ride around my neighborhood, but I am NOT a big fan of riding in LA. It's one of the worst cities for bikes. LA River path is partially closed and the parts that are open has more homeless people and broken glass than I'd like to deal with. I was also attacked on a different river path that goes from the 210 freeway. I salivate when I see videos of riders in Europe riding through country side and just enjoying the open road. I don't have the slightest idea where to ride out of LA.

1. I am not looking to do serious climbs, I am brand new to this and far from being in great shape, for now. I will absolutely get into more climbing rides, but for now, I am not looking for that.
2. I don't mind some climbs, but nothing too strenuous. I prefer flat, paved roads with some rolling hills, some climbs, but not a steep gradient
3. Within a 100 miles of Los Angeles
4. If there is no one here from LA, where do I find more information about where to ride? I prefer to ride alone for now as I am just trying to learn and get better at this

Really would appreciate some advise as I am somewhat lost. LA was recently rated as the worst bike city in US. I want to change that perception. We have beautiful nature around Southern California, so I just want to figure out where is it OK to ride safely and see some beautiful nature?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Google Strava heat map and you can see where the most cycling is done.

You can also use Google Street view to see what the roads look like.

Or maybe Google LA cycling routes ?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I have no idea about LA but I did watch this video a while ago and it may give you some ideas:

https://youtu.be/dW2fyfvnlMA
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    I've done a few virtual rides around the L.A. area.
    I'd think driving to the State Parks in conjunction with heat maps will be a good starting point.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.