ACROS Headset & Carbon Steerer Damage

Someone brought me a bike with play in the headset. It was an ACROS Ai-70 that had been converted to a conventional bung and top cap. However when I took the top cap off I found the stem and steerer flush rather than the 2-3mm gap to allow compression. This looked to be the problem, however it also required new bearings. When I removed the fork I found the steerer was damaged. The damage is were the top bearing sits. It appears to be cutting into the carbon steerer, my guess this has been caused through use with a loose headset. Any one got any other suggestions, or experienced the same problem.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HYakWyG8Sk78SWoMA

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    It could be due to loose bearings being able to move around. The only certain thing is that the fork needs to be replaced, that can't be ridden again.
  • JMCycles
    JMCycles Posts: 7

It could be due to loose bearings being able to move around. The only certain thing is that the fork needs to be replaced, that can't be ridden again.

Yes, they're in the scrap
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    It does not inspire confidence when the bike shop is asking the questions rather than giving the answers.
  • JMCycles
    edited June 2020
    lesfirth said:

It does not inspire confidence when the bike shop is asking the questions rather than giving the answers.

I'm not a bike shop. Plus I'm not too arrogant to think I know everything, hence my willingness to ask for others opinions
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I have a similar problem on my Ribble r872 the ridge stops the taper inner ring sliding down far enough to compress the bearing. Mine is not as pronounced as this though. That has been far too loose for far too long. I might just fit a new bearing seat or pop an 0.1 spacer under the crown race. on yours I might be tempted to fill in with araldite and sand back smooth. chuck it in the bin...
  • JMCycles

I have a similar problem on my Ribble r872 the ridge stops the taper inner ring sliding down far enough to compress the bearing. Mine is not as pronounced as this though. That has been far too loose for far too long. I might just fit a new bearing seat or pop an 0.1 spacer under the crown race. on yours I might be tempted to fill in with araldite and sand back smooth. chuck it in the bin...

I’m surprised he hadn’t noticed the play in it. It’s obviously been like that for some time. It’s in the bin👍
  • lesfirth
    JMCycles said:

lesfirth said:

I'm not a bike shop. Plus I'm not too arrogant to think I know everything, hence my willingness to ask for others opinions
    Ok. I will replace " bike shop" with " someone who people take bikes to ". I dont see any mention on your website of you being a registered charity so I assumed you were going to be rewarded for your time and effort.
    Asking for an opinion from a fellow professional is one thing .Asking an unknown member of the public is another.
    If you are not JM Cycles of Ludlow I apologise for the confusion.
  • JMCycles
    lesfirth said:

JMCycles said:

lesfirth said:

Ok. I will replace " bike shop" with " someone who people take bikes to ". I dont see any mention on your website of you being a registered charity so I assumed you were going to be rewarded for your time and effort.
    Asking for an opinion from a fellow professional is one thing .Asking an unknown member of the public is another.
    If you are not JM Cycles of Ludlow I apologise for the confusion.
    I’m a wheel builder and I volunteer with the Shropshire Cycle Hub registered charity refurbishing donated bikes which as a volunteer Yes I do it for free. As a cytech qualified mechanic for 10 yrs I also help my friends out at no cost.
    So what do you give back to the cycling community.
    I take it you don’t have any expertise to offer which would add value to this thread.
  • lesfirth
    edited June 2020
    Your charitable work is highly commendable.
    If you had not mixed your business name with this thread I would have had no reason to post.
    I will now stop digging this hole i find myself in.

PS Welcome to this forum. I hope i can be more constructive in future.
  • JMCycles
    lesfirth said:

Your charitable work is highly commendable.
    If you had not mixed your business name with this thread I would have had no reason to post.
    I will now stop digging this hole i find myself in.

PS Welcome to this forum. I hope i can be more constructive in future.

I didn’t intend to use my business name. But I was struggling to get on the forum it wasn’t letting me create or write posts and I couldn’t get through to the company that runs the forum. So I tried changing my name and it worked so I left it. 🤷‍♀️.