Chain sizing help

On saturday i will be fitting my bafang motor.The motor will have a 42 tooth lekkie bling ring with a 8 gear cassette.Do i fit the chain like this.

I take the new chain around the big chain ring on rear cassette miss the derailler, then around the bling ring.Then connect the chain together adding an extra 4 links .

If you understand,does that seem correct.

Comments

• hixyhicks
    hixyhicks Posts: 61
    Its 2 links not 4 my bad.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,698
    No
    you don't miss the rear derailleur out

watch a video or two, here's one if your unsure
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You DO miss out the rear derailleur if using the largest chain ring - largest sprocket method to size a chain.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I know of about six different ways to size a chain. I prefer this one.

Thread the chain around the biggest front ring and the biggest rear ring, through the derailleur as normal. Adjust the chain so that the mech arm points forward at 45 degrees.

Before you cast the chain length in stone, there is one more step if the bike is a full suspension bike.
    Let the air out of the shock and fully compress it, or get a very heavy mate to compress it. It is important that the suspension is fully compressed. Why do this? Many full suss bikes have rear suspension that makes the rear wheel go backwards for some of its travel. This will put extra pressure on your chain. If it is too short then your bike could be quite badly damaged, including having the mech ripped off.
  • hixyhicks
    hixyhicks Posts: 61
    Thank you all.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html helps for some bike types too.

According to above, when I change from 11-32 to 11-34 cassette on my Cube sometime very soon, I won't require any more links.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • steve_sordy

According to above, when I change from 11-32 to 11-34 cassette on my Cube sometime very soon, I won't require any more links.

That implies to me that the 32T set up could have been 1" shorter, ie one complete link, comprising one inner and one outer (and still safe).

That is only of value if you have not already got your chain as short as possible, either by calculation or experimentation. Once it is as short as possible (and still safe), then increasing the size of the front ring or the largest ring on the cassette will over-stress the mech.

I once sized my chain correctly, and then later on added a Bionicon chain device. Its a dangler type and it supports the lower strand of chain by lifting it a bit. It stops the chain from whipping up and down and it was before clutch mechs and narrow-wide teeth on chain rings were available. That extra tension on the chain in my opinion did not over-stress the mech, but it did mean the the chain guide wore out very rapidly. Correct chain length is important.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Just going on what the calc says with 415mm chainstay, 50T large chainring, unrounded result is ~54.30 vs ~54.77 inches. As you say, I'd expect 11-32 to probably be fine with 54 links, given 50/32 shouldn't be selected by choice.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • steve_sordy

Just going on what the calc says with 415mm chainstay, 50T large chainring, unrounded result is ~54.30 vs ~54.77 inches. As you say, I'd expect 11-32 to probably be fine with 54 links, given 50/32 shouldn't be selected by choice.

I'm assuming from the above, you have a 1x set up. So why wouldn't you choose a 32 driving a 50t for the steepest climbs - that is what it's there for. If you never need it then fit a 34 on the front and then you can use the whole range of your cassette, and go faster!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat

I'm assuming from the above, you have a 1x set up. So why wouldn't you choose a 32 driving a 50t for the steepest climbs - that is what it's there for. If you never need it then fit a 34 on the front and then you can use the whole range of your cassette, and go faster!
    You've not clicked the link, have you? ;)

It asks for largest chainring, my Cube has a compact double 34/50. I'll hapily use 50/28 if I'm on a climb I think I can stay in the 50T the whole way up and I'll happily use 34/12 on a steep climb that briefly becomes a lot easier. But I won't actively choose 50/32 or 34/11, besides anything else, lots of nasty chain grinding that trim won't fix.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • steve_sordy

..............my Cube has a compact double 34/50. I'll hapily use 50/28 if I'm on a climb I think I can stay in the 50T the whole way up and I'll happily use 34/12 on a steep climb that briefly becomes a lot easier. But I won't actively choose 50/32 or 34/11, besides anything else, lots of nasty chain grinding that trim won't fix.

WOW! You must have thighs of steel!! <3
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    He's talking about a road bike by the sound of it, @steve_sordy.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Yes, Cube road bike rather than my Voodoo fatbike commuter, didn't realise until just now than signatures don't show on mobile version.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • steve_sordy
    JBA said:

He's talking about a road bike by the sound of it, @steve_sordy.

With this being the Mountain Biking Forum, it never occurred to me he was referring to a road bike. I did wonder about the size of the chain rings though.

I used to ride with a 10-50 cassette and a 30t on the front and I still couldn't get up some climbs! Hence my expression of admiration.