I need to replace a 10 speed rear derailleur, will 11 spd work?

curium99
curium99 Posts: 20
I have a 10 speed 105 rear derailleur which is giving me issues. I think the jockey wheels look worn and it's been banged a few times.

Went on Wiggle for a replacement but the world has moved on. I don't want to replace the shifters.

I need a straight replacement that will work with 10 speed cassettes and shifters and 12-28 (sometimes 11-32) cassettes and a triple chainring at the front.

Cheers

Comments

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I replaced a 10-speed 105 rear mech with an 11-speed no problemo. It was (and still is) a triple chainset too. Runs like a dream. Good luck.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • curium99
    edited June 2020

I replaced a 10-speed 105 rear mech with an 11-speed no problemo. It was (and still is) a triple chainset too. Runs like a dream. Good luck.

Is the index spacing the same?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    edited June 2020
    If it is a 5701 GS RD, a 4601 or 6700-A GS would work, the later in double or triple configuration is only rated or a 30T max low sprocket, though you may be able to get it to work with a 32T with longer B-tension screw. There you go
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/derailleurs-rear/gs-shimano-105-rd5701-10-speed-rear-derailleur-black/
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,698
    10 speed 105 derailleurs are still available. I replaced mine about a year ago and found some pit-falls regarding compatibility. You should be able to find your your model number stamped on the inside of the derailleur to avoid confusion

This Shimano Compatibility Chart may help with cage size and chain length

• curium99
    dj58 said:

If it is a 5701 GS RD, a 4601 or 6700-A GS would work, the later in double or triple configuration is only rated or a 30T max low sprocket, though you may be able to get it to work with a 32T with longer B-tension screw. There you go
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/derailleurs-rear/gs-shimano-105-rd5701-10-speed-rear-derailleur-black/

£50 + delivery!

Is that the antiquated technology premium? I guess beggars can't be choosers but I now need to consider pricing up the cost of just going 11spd, if only from the position of the cost of spares for maintenance.
  • s_j_pwmb
    s_j_pwmb Posts: 75
    Despite the derailleurs being dumb devices without any indexing themselves, unfortunately Shimano changed the pull-ratio of the rear derailleurs when they went from 10 to 11 speed so combIning 10 speed shifters with an 11speed derailleur won’t work. The only 10 speed system which is compatible with their 11 speed components is the Tiagre 4700 (so don’t buy a cheap Tiagre 10 speed derailleur as it still won’t work.)
  • I am always amused by the people who think 10 speed campag cassette work fine with shimano kit or an 11 speed rd indexes fine with 10 speed kit. It doesn't by any measure.

We see bikes on the shop that are put together by people who think like this. They are not even safe. One has crank pinch bolts missing.

11 speed derailleurs from shimano are not compatible with 1p.speed.cassettes or shifters due to cable pull changes. Who ever the person is who said different should have to by law ride a single speed. That's runs like a dream.

SunXCD make a 10 speed compatible rear derailleur or it finding old stock out there.

In fact any shimano 8/9/10 speed road rd will work except rd4700. 7/8/9 speed mtb rds will also work.

Cable pull has to match the shifters.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk