Hi Everyone, we are the founders of a new bicycle accessory brand and need your insights!

We are the founders of RIDR, a cycling brand that stands for safety and visibility. A few months ago we launched our first product.

As we always want to improve and get better we would love it if you could please give us 2 minutes of your time and take part in our survey.

Comments

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Wtf is RIDR supposed to mean?

Edit: just realised it's "Rider" without the vowels! Sorry, I think it's an awful brand name! I mean rider isn't even cycling specific (motorbike, horse, quad, bulls etc....) on that train of thought CYCLST would have at least been on topic, but that looks too similar to cyst!!!.....Not doing the survey, but I suggest a rebrand.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    You could have a commuter range called "NODDR", a club rider range called "CHOPR", and a fixie urban range called "WANKR".
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I want to stay safe as I ride all year round in all weather (well perhaps not all weather as I try to avoid snow and ice) so completed the survey.

It's a good idea, but is there any evidence that a driver will see a small light on the road next to me bike any better than they will see a bigger brighter flashing light closer to their eye level and a man wearing bright, reflective clothing?
  • First.Aspect
    singleton said:

I want to stay safe as I ride all year round in all weather (well perhaps not all weather as I try to avoid snow and ice) so completed the survey.

It's a good idea, but is there any evidence that a driver will see a small light on the road next to me bike any better than they will see a bigger brighter flashing light closer to their eye level and a man wearing bright, reflective clothing?

Absolutely none at all. What we need is a somewhat standard "bike light" flashing pattern for the rear, so that it immediately triggers recognition in drivers. All these supper-annoying blinking patterns, or laser light shows on the road are a complete waste of time. No one notices the latter, and the former makes distance judgement more difficult, which is counter productive. Variable brightness options when braking are also pointless. Same goes for indicators for bicycles and amber side lights.

If someone wants to make some of those crank end guards that are reflective, I would buy some, because I use clipless pedals and it would be helpful to have another option to highlight the pedal stroke.

Also, won't someone, anyone, provide some option for refreshing reflective stuff on clothing? Or is it a ruse to ensure that it needs replacing years before the clothing itself has worn out.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    edited June 2020
    It's a crappily written survey and are you aware of this website?
    https://ridroptics.co.uk/
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,698
    One wonders what if any market research has been completed before the survey was written. To me, the survey raises as many questions as you answer
  • First.Aspect
    Perhaps they already have a product and are trying to get market data to confirm that there is one, for when they approach vendors?