Shortening a Brand X Dropper, any advice appreciated

My cycling buddy bought a Brand X dropper for his Merida. We fitted it on Saturday, pushed the post all the way into the frame with the intention of raising it to the correct height for him. Couldn't reach the peddles!! We have set it so it only extends by 65mm by putting a strap from frame to saddle. This has got to be a short term solution. I've seen the service video on Youtube and you can see two sleeves inside the post. I was wondering if the top one was made wider, would that control how far the droper would extend? Anyone tried this?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I have looked at droppers of all sorts for quite a few years and I never heard that any of them are adjustable. I'm not saying they can't be just that it is unlikely. I hope to be proved wrong! :)

Are you sure that the dropper is all the way into the seat tube? Is the dropper collar in contact, or is there a bolt for a bottle cage protruding into the seat tube? If so and you believe that would make a significant difference, you could try removing the bolt. You would then have to ream out the set tube because there will be a protrusion on the inside of the seat tube. Most LBSs will have a reamer.

Failing that, return the dropper and get a different one, or cut some inches from the top of the seat tube! Radical I know, but what else can you do!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    He's bought the wrong post. Send it back and get a shorter one.

FYI the One Up Components dropper post is adjustable using an internal shim by 10mm or 20mm. It also claims to be the shortest post available.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • As JBA has said above, the One Up Dropper is adjustable i have the 210 version dropped to 190 using internal shims.

The brand x dropper is not adjustable in travel, therefore if the post is all the way in then theres no choice but to replace it with another one, however if the post is slammed all the way, then id be questioning if your mate has the right size frame as 65mm from top of seat tube to saddle seems low to me.

Could be worth posting up some pics to better show us whats going on.
  • rich177
    rich177 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies.
    The post is fully in, the collar is right down touching the frame. I think he has probably got the wrong size frame for his height, but that is not going to change. I will get some pics when I see him next and post them up, lot easier if you can see the problem :) He seems fairly happy to have the strap stopping the post from rising, but I'd like to sort it properly for him if possible. I'll check out the One up post.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Unless he is still growing your buddy should consider selling the bike or frame and getting a smaller one. If he intends using it seriously off-road he will enjoy it much more and have more control on a correctly sized bike.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009