Saftey

How do I improve the safety of my commute to work, so I guess what I'm asking is what can I buy or do?

Comments

• shiz
    shiz Posts: 19
    I bought a proviz Reflect 360 jacket - best investment ever. When a car's headlight shines on me, I glow very brightly and therefore hard to miss. I think it's worth the safety.

also, good lights. Be seen, be predictable.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Road craft - positioning yourself where you can be seen, and being prepared to give way once you're sure drivers have seen you. Takes confidence and cn be nerve wracking when you start.

Good lights at low light and night, that includes cloudy and rainy daytime. Two front, two back. I don't use flashing front lights as they induce migraines, but I have one on the bars and one on my head. Rear lights tend to be seat post or back of the sadelbag and one on the seat stay. I do have some jerseys with a tab to fit a light on the back. I forget to use it though.
  • parryman
    parryman Posts: 153
    Confidence is important.
    You are allowed on the road,.
    You do not have to ride in the gutter.
    If you do not think it is safe for a car to pass you, ride in a dominant position, it may annoy them, but you need to be safe.
    Never assume someone has seen you.
    Wear bright things, have lights on almost all the time. (i have a blinky red light out back even in full day light)

Depending on what roads you use, and the environment you commute in, makes a difference too.
    I used to ride a few miles across London daily, pedestrians are unpredictable and as such need more attention paid to them, as well as the road traffic.
    When I switched to local jobs, my commute was more cycle paths or the woods, which made it much less stressful.

Tl;Dr - Be visible, watch out for people as well as cars
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨)
    .•´,•*´¨)¸.•*¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨).•*´¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` * ¸.•´¸.•*´¨The Amazing Parryman
  • https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCAPRKRTC/carnac-parky-reflective-toe-cover are great for visibility to others, being "reflective" moving objects.

I've a Boardman reflective jacket that's similar to the Proviz mentioned already, great for visibility, but not very breathable at all.

Bright colour or reflective helmet.

Bright colour or reflective gloves/mitts.

Bright colour with reflective stripe socks such as https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-flashlight-sock-1

Redundancy lighting, front and rear.

Look out for the next Lidl bike promo, they did a £13 light set in March that appeared to comply with German StVZO standard (good focussed beam that doesn't blind oncoming or drafted cars).

Don't "hug" the kerb, ride ~50cm+ away, when approaching pinch points be assertive and position yourself in the middle of the lane (with hand signlas before if possible) to prevent temptation of a close pass.

Etc.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    shiz said:

I bought a proviz Reflect 360 jacket - best investment ever. When a car's headlight shines on me, I glow very brightly and therefore hard to miss. I think it's worth the safety.

also, good lights. Be seen, be predictable.

That's a great Jacket in the dark but in daylight it's just grey. A fluo/reflective jacket would work for all occasions. Actually a workmans mesh vest is 360 reflective and goes over whatever kit you have on. If you can tailor it a bit then it's the perfect item.

And yes. Reflective pedals or feet or legs are brilliant to mark you out as a cyclist at night.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,490
    Lights even in sunshine. I had that revelation as a driver when I passed a couple of cyclists under trees on a sunny day that were nigh on invisible till the last few yards.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    I've just got a Garmin Varia, it's like having eyes in the back of your head, great bit of kit.
  • Be assertive, without being aggressive. Don’t let yourself get bullied. Ride in a primary position, don’t get bullied into riding in the gutter. Signal your moves nice and early, stick to the plan and make any moves timely. If you ride with purpose, the traffic will take heed. No one wants an accident, no one is ‘out to get you’. Keep the commutes up, in time it gets easier.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    In the main cycling is safe. Most accidents occur at or around junctions and lights.
    As other have said road craft/positioning planning assessing traffic around you. Take primary where necessary, but no point being dead right... Try and make eye contact with drivers, look into side roads see if car waiting and whether they look like they're going to pull out in front of you only then to have stop for that queue of traffic or red light...
    Left/right hooks shoulder check or mirror
    Obviously helmet although somewhat contentious issue and personal choice, personally I prefer to ride with one.
    Cover brakes, make sure they're well setup/maintained slow down in wet/bad weather
    Pedestrians can be obvious so be on look out if they're likely to step out in front of you esp if raining with brollies up which can block their view of you... Basically like driving be prepared for unexpected
    Keep drivers on side too, if one gives way or wide pass or whatever give thumbs up./wave gesture whatever so cars behind hopefully follow their lead and see you as a person acknowledging their good behaviour ignore the bad as far as possible. Educate where needed rather than being aggressive. Obviously follow rules eg don't jump lights unless compelling reason to do so depending on road layouts and individual circumstances etc etc
    Contrasting clothing can help.too