Bent hanger or bent derailleur

Hi all

I bought this bike about 6 weeks ago and it hasn't shifted right since I got the bike but I didn't want to get it looked at as it was a pain waiting for the bike to get to me

Looking at the derailleur it seems to be twisted slightly but is this the derailleur or the hanger or is it something else. It is very slight, to me it looks twisted outward at the back of the derailleur
I have attached some pictures
Thanks

Comments

• Yes looks to be out of line, it’s further out at the bottom. If you have or can borrow a hanger alignment tool a wee adjustment on the hanger is all that is needed probably. If you have no access to the proper tool take it to a bike shop.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2020

Yes looks to be out of line, it’s further out at the bottom. If you have or can borrow a hanger alignment tool a wee adjustment on the hanger is all that is needed probably. If you have no access to the proper tool take it to a bike shop.

I agree. Hard to say for sure but probably the hanger. You would need to have that checked first in any case.
  • amoran
    amoran Posts: 13
    Thanks for the quick responses

I have emailed a local bike shop to see when they can fit me in to have a look
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    If all it requires is a mech hanger alignment, it is a quick and simple thing to fix requiring a mech hanger alignment tool (£50-60). The bike shop should charge £10-£15 for realignment.

Aligning the mech hanger will not fix any bend in the derailleur. I agree with those above that the it looks like the derailleur itself is slightly bent. The LBS may be able to straighten it. That may go well, or not!