Non Stop Punctures

Hi All,

I have a 2014 Trek 1.2, its an average bike, boring to ride but gets me from A to B (when I don't have flats).

The past 12 months I have probably spent the best part of £100 on inner tubes for my back wheel. I have no confidence in the bike at all. Every time I go out and go over a bump I am nervous I will get another flat.
  • I have changed the tires twice (GP4000, currently on Gatorskins with around 700KM on them), the tires dont have any major wear on them, and the insides of them are totally clear. It also seems to just be the back wheel, the front tire i have done around 3K on, and had 1 pinch flat.
  • I took it to my LBS they changed the rim tape and the tube (I though maybe I was doing something wrong) - next day flat
  • I changed the rim tape myself - rode 50K, next day flat.
  • 2 days before that I had to change the inner tube 4 times in 1 day!
  • I keep the pressure at approx 100psi
  • I am a heavier rider at 90KG
I just don't know what to do it is driving me nuts!

any suggestions please.

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Are you fitting the inner tubes in properly?

Also are the brake blocks touching the tyre and hence wearing it away?
  • aaronyarm
    aaronyarm Posts: 20

Are you fitting the inner tubes in properly?

Also are the brake blocks touching the tyre and hence wearing it away?

Yes, and I took it to the bike store and had them change the tire to make sure.
    nope the brake blocks are firmly on the rims.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Is the tube puncturing in the same place each time? Ie relative position to the valve?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    edited June 2020
    It sounds like there must be something wrong with the wheel rim. Check there are no sharp edges where the rim joins (or anywhere else).
    Are the punctures always in the same place? Check where they occur using the valve and the valve hole on the rim as reference points.
    If the punctures are pinch flats- is it possible the pressure gauge on your pump is under reading?
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    edited June 2020
    If you've got the punctured tubes, have a look at them, what are the punctures like? Are they snakebites/pinch flats or pinpricks from sharp objects? If you're still riding the same tyres, are they full of holes?

You specifically mention bumps and the rear wheel, which makes me think pinch flats. Telltale sign will be tyres with no holes and a double hole in the inner tubes like this:

The only solution to that is to up the pressure, increase the tyre volume, or reduce the load on the wheel.

You don't mention the tyre size you're using, a narrower tyre needs more pressure. If you're on 23mm tyres then 100psi isn't particularly high for 90kg. I'm 72kg and I'd probably have the rear around that on the rare occasion I ride 23mm tyres. If safe to do so I'd up the rear pressure by at least 10psi and see if that reduces the problem.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Every time you puncture you examine the tube to see what caused it.

If you've not found the cause then you'll likely puncture again.

I think it'll be a combination of things like thorns left in the tyre.

100psi sounds fine for GP4000. Can't see you'll snakebite at that PSI very often.
  • aaronyarm
    aaronyarm Posts: 20
    wow thanks everyone for the feedback!
    the punctures are in different places each time which is very frustrating.
    I am going to change out the tyre today, and up the pressure as per the recommendations.
    thanks everyone!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited June 2020
    Put the tyre back in the same position each time. Line the logo up with the valve.

If you haven't been doing that, then punctures being in different positions does point to the tyre and not the rim. Unless the rim has multiple faults.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • fenix
    aaronyarm said:

wow thanks everyone for the feedback!
    the punctures are in different places each time which is very frustrating.
    I am going to change out the tyre today, and up the pressure as per the recommendations.
    thanks everyone!

So if it's in the tyre - are you finding and removing the item that punctured the tube ?
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    You've already changed the tire twice so changing it again is not likely to solve the problem. Can you swap / change the wheel to rule that out? What sort of surface are you riding on when you get a puncture? As already been said up the pressure a little, but not beyond the pressure specified for the tire.
  • fenix
    Do you have a cat ?

I foolishly left my bike in his kitchen one night and found it with flat tyres the next morning.

On inspection of the tubes it was like some very sharp objects had made holes in both of them.

Never left the bike there again.