Reynolds assault tubeless problems

Ok so I decided to take advantage of the fact that my wheels were tubeless ready, the front wheel was not a problem and is still inflated. The rear wheel is another matter, a few years ago i had to replace the spoke nipples which meant pulling off the blue tape that was fitted to the wheel out of the factory. I have tried all sorts of different tapes on the wheel but nothing is sticking and sealing properly to the bare rim bed. All I did on the front wheel was run some "manic" fibre tape that I bought off amazon over the original blue tape and it has worked a treat, I tried it on the back wheel but just not sticking properly ! I tried stans np tubes, gaffa/duck tape but to no effect, I even tried running some electricians tape around the rim first then tape over the top but still nothing ! I would be really grateful of any advice or recommendations of tapes that work really well ? It needs to be something that will stick well to the rim bed as that seems to be the problem !
TIA
Roger

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Well, it sounds like you tried them all... carbon is not great for sticking things to
    left the forum March 2023
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,727
    I've never attempted carbon it has to be said. I wonder what the original Blue Tape was. But what usually works is
    1. Clean the wheel rim with soap and water, dry, then wipe with alcohol (or Meths) to remove anything that remains
    2. Use some Gorilla Tape stretched and overlapping slightly (once around), try not to get fingerprints on the rim where the tape is going, then press the the tape home with a good rub all the way around
    Starting with all the materials at the same temperature, above 10°C
    I’ve yet to see a problem with this approach.
    Let me know how you get on
  • rogerv1978
    rogerv1978 Posts: 31

I've never attempted carbon it has to be said. I wonder what the original Blue Tape was. But what usually works is
    1. Clean the wheel rim with soap and water, dry, then wipe with alcohol (or Meths) to remove anything that remains
    2. Use some Gorilla Tape stretched and overlapping slightly (once around), try not to get fingerprints on the rim where the tape is going, then press the the tape home with a good rub all the way around
    Starting with all the materials at the same temperature, above 10°C
    I’ve yet to see a problem with this approach.
    Let me know how you get on

Hi thanks for the reply, I've pretty much tried all of this including cleaning with alcohol apart from the gorilla tape ? I tried duck/gaffa tape, is gorilla tape that much stronger at sticking ?

Thanks
  • ugo.santalucia
    It's stretchier and it might just stick enough to allow you to wrap it around, before applying a tubeless tape on top
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    Gorilla tape didn’t work for me, it stuck to the rim but tyre won’t seal. Used muc-off tape it worked. Soap and water as others have said and perseverance.
  • rogerv1978
    Well I've just ordered some muc off tape and gorilla tape so will decide what route to take when they turn up ! Any other suggestions welcome ? Does it make a difference that they are carbon rims ??
  • Tubeless tape sticks under tension. I apply tesa 4289 by hand. I pull it tight and get that factory look. Its quick to do too with practice.

Tension is key. If you have bubbles or adhesion issues I guarantee you have used insufficient tension. Many shop mechanics dont pull it tight enough. Many home mechanics dont either.

It's not the tape but skill level. Pull it tighter. There lots of videos I should do. Maybe taping is one for later in the week.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • ugo.santalucia
    True, tension is key
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,727

True, tension is key

Yes, maybe I didn't stress that enough - you should be able to hear the tape protesting about the tension you apply
  • rogerv1978

True, tension is key

Yes, maybe I didn't stress that enough - you should be able to hear the tape protesting about the tension you apply
    Ok thanks I'll make sure I give it plenty of tension when I do it !