Crown Race sizing??? plz help

andyFuD_dXxN
andyFuD_dXxN Posts: 5
edited June 2020 in MTB workshop & tech

Hi All,
I'm considering new air forks as an upgrade and I'm worried about the crown race - it doesn't look like moving as it's been there since 2007! Can I buy a new crown race to fit my existing headset and pop it on my 1 and 1/8 steering tube?

(see Pics) outer dia = 46.6mm, Inner = 30.7mm

How do I choose the correct crown race ???

OR How can I get the race off?

Help much needed and appreciated,

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2020
    Crown race is usually supplied with this own specific headset as they can vary and it isn't advisable to try to mix and match. Best thing would be to buy a new headset to go with your new air forks.

Your new fork options will be limited as there aren't many models with straight steerer tubes as there are tapered versions these days.

You could fit a new headset that will allow a tapered fork to fit into your straight headtube but finding a fork with (I assume) quick release dropouts and tapered steerer will also restrict your options.

To get the old crown race off start at this point:-

Carefully with a screwdriver, chisel, etc. knock it upwards a little (you may chip some paint doing this but shouldn't damage the fork crown) to expose a gap and then gently tap towards the steerer all around the race. It will loosen within a few centimetres and pull off.