Any bike mechanic out there to sort this little problem?

I run a 9 x 3 mtb with a not so old rear sram cassette and sram chain. I had a Shimano xtr rear derailleur which needed to be replaced. Due to availability i had to buy a Shimano alivio to tie me over until i found a replacement.
So i started to set the the derailleur up, setting the limit screws,B screw and setting the shifting.
Went through all the shifting which on the bike stand shifted great. Took the bike out the next morning and had this problem!......
Had the chain on the Large chain ring at the front and shifting through the sprockets at the back...no problems.
Shifted to the small chain ring and went shifting through the rear sprockets... no problems
Had the chain on the middle chain ring and shifted through the sprockets and found the jockey wheel jumping/skipping??? Tried adjusting the gears which seemed fine on the stand.??
Anyway the replacement derailleur came and so i fitted it but still had the same problem?
I had an old chain that lying around (which was stretched slightly) and fitted that, now the problem has gone, even shifts perfect??? Obviously i dont want to keep the old chain on in case it snaps, i was just trying it to see what would happen. Any ideas please :'(
This is my current set up...
Xtr mech, xtr rear derailleur, sram chain and cassette.
Is there a problem with the above up??

Thank you

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2020
    I'm not a bike mechanic although have come across most problems with shifting.

I honestly cannot think why the skipping is only on the middle ring and fine on the outer and inner rings. Taking that out of the equation and seeing as the older slightly stretched chain works fine in all gear combinations and new one doesn't only suggests the rear cassette is worn and not meshing with the new chain which is causing the skipping.

Depending on how 'not so old' the cassette and old chain is, maybe it's long enough to have worn the cassette?

I tried to replace a chain after 8 months and new chain wouldn't mesh with the cassette so rather than buying a new cassette straight away I put the old chain back on and decided to 'run them into the ground' until shifting suffered or chain snapped.

Carried a spare missing link in case and it all ran well for another 8 or so months with no chain break or noticeable shifting problems. Only cost around £50 for new cassette, triple front crankset that I only bought because I was selling the bike to a friend. Maybe this method is worth a try given your situation?

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Middle chain ring worn?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve9uk
    steve9uk Posts: 126
    Thanks guys for your reply.
    Just checked and the cassette and chain were both changed in Jan 2020.
  • Not infrequently it pays to replace the whole set and cables. And that front mech needs to go.

That cassette looks worn. Stop doing things piecemeal and stop penny pinching.
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    I had the same issue and it was so frustrating, I bought a new chain and it kept skipping so bought a new cassette and boom problem solved, it’s amazing how quickly a warn chain can knacker a new cassette.
  • steve9uk
    I'll change the cassette and chain again. If its not that then i have a spare.

Thanks

• steve9uk

Not infrequently it pays to replace the whole set and cables. And that front mech needs to go.

That cassette looks worn. Stop doing things piecemeal and stop penny pinching.

Darius the front mech is shifting perfect. Not getting any problems. Just the jockey wheel skipping
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The cassette and chain were both new in January so it's unlikely to be them (unless you are doing mega miles).
    How worn are the jockey wheels?
    Similarly, what condition is the middle chain ring in? It is usually the one that is used the most so wears more quickly than the inner or outer rings.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    have you threaded the chain through the derailleur properly?
  • steve9uk
    JBA said:

The cassette and chain were both new in January so it's unlikely to be them (unless you are doing mega miles).
    Similarly, what condition is the middle chain ring in? It is usually the one that is used the most so wears more quickly than the inner or outer rings.

Hi JBA
    The jockey wheels are new as it came with the new derailleur.
  • steve9uk
    david37 said:

have you threaded the chain through the derailleur properly?

Hi David
    Yes checked everything is threaded through properly.
  • steve9uk
    JBA said:

i could try changing the middle chain ring. Just seems strange that the jockey wheels dont skip when i put an old chain back on? im stumped
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    Which jockey wheel is skipping?

If its the upper one, its not a chain line issue it is a B-limit or cassette issue. Have you tried extreme B-limit settings to see if you can induce the problem on the big or small rings?

Whatever the problem is, I don't see how it can be the state of the chain ring.
  • First.Aspect
    steve9uk said:

JBA said:

i could try changing the middle chain ring. Just seems strange that the jockey wheels dont skip when i put an old chain back on? im stumped
    Hadn't spotted this.

It is the cassette. A new chain will sit higher on the teeth of a worn cassette than an old chain.
  • steve9uk

steve9uk said:

JBA said:

Hadn't spotted this.

It is the cassette. A new chain will sit higher on the teeth of a worn cassette than an old chain.
    Hi First. its the lower jockey wheel that skips. but i placed the old chain back on and the skipping stopped? could it be a faulty new chain??
  • steve9uk
    ill try changing the cassette and chain. at worst if it does not work i have a spare set.
    Thanks all for your input.
    ill keep yous posted :)
  • steve9uk
    steve9uk said:

JBA said:

done very little miles as i broke my finger and was off the bike for 8 weeks
  • This problem with jumping lower jockey wheels mean the chain is jumping as it leaves the chainring and feeds into the jockey wheel. Regardless of when the ring was changed, change it. It could resolve your problem. I have had exactly this issue before with campagnolo chorus. Ring did not look worn but it was in such a way to cause exactly this sort of problem. Seem the issue since. 90% certain this is the main issue.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    steve9uk said:

steve9uk said:

JBA said:

Hadn't spotted this.

Hi First. its the lower jockey wheel that skips. but i placed the old chain back on and the skipping stopped? could it be a faulty new chain??
    Sorry, stumped then. Only time I've had that is worn jockey wheel. Seems unlikely to me to be the chainring itself, given the length of untensioned chain between them, and how much vertical motion you get in that part of the chain when riding. If it were that sensitive, this would happen routinely. But happy to be proved wrong.

Possibly still the problem I had posited though - chain run through the cage might be off from the start and only fully coming off the lower jockey wheel.
  • steve9uk

This problem with jumping lower jockey wheels mean the chain is jumping as it leaves the chainring and feeds into the jockey wheel. Regardless of when the ring was changed, change it. It could resolve your problem. I have had exactly this issue before with campagnolo chorus. Ring did not look worn but it was in such a way to cause exactly this sort of problem. Seem the issue since. 90% certain this is the main issue.

Thanks for the advice, ill do that
  • steve9uk

steve9uk said:

steve9uk said:

JBA said:

Hadn't spotted this.

Sorry, stumped then. Only time I've had that is worn jockey wheel. Seems unlikely to me to be the chainring itself, given the length of untensioned chain between them, and how much vertical motion you get in that part of the chain when riding. If it were that sensitive, this would happen routinely. But happy to be proved wrong.

Possibly still the problem I had posited though - chain run through the cage might be off from the start and only fully coming off the lower jockey wheel.
    Thanks First i'll double check everything
  • steve9uk
    Hi all. Just an update. I replaced all the chainrings and the problem with the skipping jockey wheel has gone. I would have never thought it would have been that. Although I’ve had to put the small chainring back on as a temporary measure as the new one was flat. So apparently I need to measure and buy something spacers. Thanks for your help. Appreciated