New Bike Choice

Hi,

i did post another thread about this, but have since done a LOT of research. And would love some help in my choice based on what people think The choice of new bike is narrowed to 3.

currently I have a Trek 1.2 so this is my first major bike upgrade.

somethings that I wanted (at least 105 groupset), disc brakes, endurance style frame, I am not racing so want something comfortable but still fast.

I will use the ride mainly for my 50K per day commute (25k each way), charity rides and the occasional fondo.

a) Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 - DT Swiss wheels + ultegra ($2500, I would have to pay tax and shipping, which brings the cost to about $3K)
b) Trek Domane SL6 2019 model - Ultegra ($3600)
c) Giant Defy Advanced 2 - 105. ($2500)

I know this sounds petty, but I do not like the colors of the Giant, but if it is a better bike then I am prepared to forgo that.

looking forwards to suggestions!

thanks

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Given you're spending a lot of money then you're allowed to consider aesthetics!
    A good looking bike makes you more likely to ride it IMO.

That said, Giant's are excellent value for money, I think any of those 3 bikes will do the job nicely.

Sorry if I complicate things further but do Rose deliver to the US? (I'm assuming you're American as you used dollars). If so this looks like great value for money:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bikes/road/endurance/reveal-four-disc
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Is it nice weather where you live ? Any commuter bike in the UK would really need full mudguards to make it sensible.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    If you can get past the God awful frame welds and aren't a carbon snob then a Cannondale CAAD13 105/Ultegra would be on my shopping list for it's allround versatility.
    If I was buying a bike post pandemic I'd be wanting to support a company from my home country too, so on the assumption that you are from the USA that would be another uptick for the Cannondale.
    Of the 3 you have quoted above I too would go for the Giant.
  • aaronyarm
    aaronyarm Posts: 20
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for the responses, I'm not from the US I'm a expat who lives in Israel. Weather is good all year round, unfortunately Rose do not deliver here, I tried speaking to them, their bikes are stunning!

Prices here are already over inflated canondales are tough to come by and expensive.

• Ive had two Giant Defy's but no other road bikes so nothing to compare them too but I was in your position a few years go and the Defy was and is always top or thereabouts of the list for "endurance" bikes. Can comfortably do 130 miles on it at a decent pace.

I am a bit of an aesthetic snob, luckily I liked the 2016 Defy Adv 1 looks (changed the white saddle and bar tape) but I can admit I probably wouldn't have bought it had it been....bright green or something ridiculous so I'm with you on that.

If you are willing to go up to $3600 on a Trek why not get a better Defy with perhaps more acceptable aesthetics? The Defy Advanced 1 looks nice to me.
    Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc 0 2021
    Nukeproof Digger Comp 2021
    YT Capra Pro Race 29 2018
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    All City Big Block SS 2020
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • aaronyarm
    aaronyarm Posts: 20

Ive had two Giant Defy's but no other road bikes so nothing to compare them too but I was in your position a few years go and the Defy was and is always top or thereabouts of the list for "endurance" bikes. Can comfortably do 130 miles on it at a decent pace.

I am a bit of an aesthetic snob, luckily I liked the 2016 Defy Adv 1 looks (changed the white saddle and bar tape) but I can admit I probably wouldn't have bought it had it been....bright green or something ridiculous so I'm with you on that.

If you are willing to go up to $3600 on a Trek why not get a better Defy with perhaps more acceptable aesthetics? The Defy Advanced 1 looks nice to me.

The defy 1 is quite a bit more expensive here comes in at about 4500 usd
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    edited June 2020
    If you're in Israel there's an Israeli shop on eBay knocking out lots of Merida and BMC bikes at decent prices.
    I only mention it because it came up in a search I made today. I'd be a bit wary buying from them in the UK but they did have good ratings.