Spoke question

So I got these wheels secondhand. There is a creaking from the rear spokes when I ride. I’ve notice the spoke cross each other in a way I wouldn’t expect. Can anyone look at this and confirm it’s right as I’ve been over the wheels to check the tension but the still give the spoke plunk noise when riding. The wheels are an asymmetrical design.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Looks like a fairly normal 2x lacing. What makes you think it's wrong?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    As above...

Tension too low? Are you sure the creaking comes from the spokes?
    left the forum March 2023
  • martziniuk
    martziniuk Posts: 17

Looks like a fairly normal 2x lacing. What makes you think it's wrong?

I just didn’t think they’d come out of the hub and cross each other like that. The spokes are actually bent as one crosses the other spoke. I’m sure it could be laced so they weren’t bent as the spokes leave the hub from each side of the cassette side.
    If that’s how it’s supposed to be I’ll have another go at the tension. The sound is a definite spoke noise, the kind you get when you’ve finished truing a wheel and give it a first ride to settle it in, except this does it on every turn.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Interlacing/overlapping is the way to build a wheel with J bend spokes... I would be worried if the spokes were not overlapped.
    Sounds like you have too low tension
  • martziniuk

Interlacing/overlapping is the way to build a wheel with J bend spokes... I would be worried if the spokes were not overlapped.
    Sounds like you have too low tension

Thank you. Upon further searching I think you’re right. I’ll have another go at the tension.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Having built wheels for "half" the people on this forum, it would have been embarrassing to be wrong... :D
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    You've never built any for me
  • martziniuk
    Or me but I’m willing to try a set for a couple of years to verify there quality 😬.
    The wheel spokes were very slack, the fronts are very slack too, must have come from the factory like that.
  • ugo.santalucia

The wheel spokes were very slack, the fronts are very slack too, must have come from the factory like that.

Generally speaking, quality of "cheap wheels" made in the far east is better than it used to be. If you rewind ten years, there were some true horrors people used to import from China... and there were some horrific wheels built over here too (for those who remember, but we won't go there... :D ). I can't quite recognise these ones...
  • martziniuk

Generally speaking, quality of "cheap wheels" made in the far east is better than it used to be. If you rewind ten years, there were some true horrors people used to import from China... and there were some horrific wheels built over here too (for those who remember, but we won't go there... :D ). I can't quite recognise these ones...
    They’re Rsp calavera wheels. I believe Raleigh make them
  • ugo.santalucia
    Are these the ones? The reviewer seems to have similar issues to yours

https://road.cc/content/review/260899-rsp-calavera-carbon-cc35-wheelset

Carbon rims probably deserve to be checked professionally and rebuilt if needs be
  • martziniuk

Are these the ones? The reviewer seems to have similar issues to yours

https://road.cc/content/review/260899-rsp-calavera-carbon-cc35-wheelset

Carbon rims probably deserve to be checked professionally and rebuilt if needs be

Yes that’s them, they’ve had very little use.
  • ugo.santalucia
    They probably just need to be retensioned and trued properly, do it yourself if you know how to, or pay someone decent to do it for you
  • Creaks can be anything. QR's, pedal threads, worn cleats...... it can also be bearings or freehub.

Assuming it's the spokes without eliminating all of the other things is not wise. Generally with wheels if it straight and round to with 0.5mm leave well alone. Attempting to fix problems that dont really need fixing is like opening a can of worms.

Proceed with caution.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • martziniuk
    These wheels were miles out of true and flexed like crazy due to lack of tension. I know what a plinking spoke sounds like and this is definitely the issue here.
    I’m on it!