Wheel question

Tashman
Tashman Posts: 3,400
Hi, I've just picked up a pair of wheels from a Felt F5 to replace my mismatched set. They are Mavic CXP22 rims with Felt hubs. They are used and only cost £40. Has anyone any experience of these?

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    The only experience I have with Felt hubs was the original wheels that came with my F65X cross bike. The front was ok, but the rear freehub seized twice. Once after less than 3 months winter road use (never did cyclo-cross on it as I bought it to be my winter bike). You would expect a cross bike to have hubs/ freehub that could withstand a bit of wet weather! Replaced under warranty and the following winter the same happened again.

I binned them and replaced them with handbuilt wheels with Hope hubs. 6 winters later and I haven’t even had to change a bearing on the Hopes.

PP
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The 'Felt' hubs are likely to be just rebadged items from the likes of Formula, Novatech, Joytech, or similar. CXP22 rims are ok for the level they sell at.

If the wheelset is secondhand, then their performance is likely to be more dependent on how they have been treated up until now, as opposed to what they were like when they were new..