Di2 not holding charge

I have been having an issue with my di2 r8050 system for some time now which goes completely flat after 3-4 days of full charge ( bike not being used ).

Something is draining the battery and after a process of elimination it appears to be something to do with either 1 or both shifters ?? I have unplugged everything else in turn and when the battery is isolated it holds its charge but with either derailleur disconnected it still drains about 20% overnight, I disconnected the shifters from the junction box so they wont shift gears but the buttons on the top of the hoods still operate the d-fly function, which I have set up to change pages on my garmin.

Has anyone else had this problem and figured out a resolution for it ?

TIA

Comments

• drexel1975
    drexel1975 Posts: 70
    I'm surprised that the button on the top of the hoods still operates the d-fly function as there is no power getting to the shifter. I had a similar situation and disconnected everything in turn until I worked out it could only be the left shifter. Just disconnect each shifter in turn for a few days, disconnecting the di2 cable at the shifter.
  • rogerv1978
    rogerv1978 Posts: 31

I'm surprised that the button on the top of the hoods still operates the d-fly function as there is no power getting to the shifter. I had a similar situation and disconnected everything in turn until I worked out it could only be the left shifter. Just disconnect each shifter in turn for a few days, disconnecting the di2 cable at the shifter.

What did you do about it ?
  • drexel1975
    drexel1975 Posts: 70
    Isolated it so that the charge dropped whenever the left shifter was in the circuit but stayed fully charged with everything else attached. I got tge shifter changed under warranty.
  • rogerv1978
    rogerv1978 Posts: 31

Isolated it so that the charge dropped whenever the left shifter was in the circuit but stayed fully charged with everything else attached. I got tge shifter changed under warranty.

Ahhh mine is about a week out of the 2 year warranty !!!! I wonder what the problem with the shifter is and why its draining the battery? Wonder if its fixable ? Looks like it is one of the shifters !
    Thanks for your help.
  • triquin
    triquin Posts: 30
    I had a similar problem. Which turned out to be a damaged cable so its certainly worth checking for crushed or damaged cables. Good luck.
  • If I have to guess what the problem is, I would go for a (probably small) short circuit somewhere. If you can locate the problem, you can fix it easy with some tape. If you can acces it ofcourse. If you can't acces it because it is somewhere in the shifter or something, you will have to visit someone who can fix that.