Bike dismantle

A simple question... I am thinking of sending my frame away to get sprayed. How easy is it to strip the parts off? Post, stem, wheels are easy its just the rear mech and crank. Also is it easy to put the m back on with minimal setup?

Finally what metallic colour would you reckon to go with white forks? We thinking orange or rosso red Metallica.

Thanks

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    The rear mech is easy, it's just a bolt holing it to the mech hanger, ditto the hanger to the frame. Easier just to unbolt the mech hanger.

The only "problem" is the bottom bracket because it will depend upon tools that you may not have. Don't forget to remove the bearings from the head tube. If your bike has external cables passing through welded on stubs, consider drilling them out so that you can pass the external cables through them. Then you can have one continuous outer cable/hose for the gears/brakes. It won't make a difference to your brakes of course, but your gear shifting will be easier to set up and last longer. It also looks neater! I borrowed a Dremmel to enlarge the holes. Carefully does it!

Rub down the paintwork all over and get it nice and smooth, then do it some more! You do not need to strip all the paint off.

Mask off any screw threads that you want to use (like your BB for ex) or you will need the LBS to chase them out for you after the paint job.

If you will be having a conventional paint spray job, take a tip from somebody who has done this. I got my local hole in the wall paint sprayer to do the bike. Choose a car paint colour for which you can buy a touch up kit from Halfords. Then buy one! You will get chips and scratches on your freshly painted bike. Having a £10 touch up kit that perfectly matches your paint job will keep the bike looking great for ever!

You could of course get the frame powder coated, I believe that finish may be a bit tougher. Oven drying is part of the process I believe, so masking off doesn't work. You will need the threads chased out, unless the powder coating company has a solution to the masking problem.

As for colour, you could go for anything that contrasts with white. Wander down the car paint aisle at Halfords. There are some fantastic choices of colours in there. Try to avoid choosing pearlescent finishes because they can be difficult to match up later. I can't advise on colour because its a personal thing. But if you prefer something bright, then there is no doubt that red/orange is "out there". At the other end of the spectrum you could go for a dark metallic blue or maybe British Racing Green? When I did my grandson's bike he chose Audi Laser Red.
    This was after three years of hard use.

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Easy enough if methodical and keep all bolts, washers for each component separate and in correct order in storage rather than throwing everything into one box.

Bottom bracket and headset will be easy too except for needing specific tools and more than one step involved in removing.

Head set will be tricky depending on type. If semi integrated top and bottom cups would need removing and care needed not to damage them. Possibly get away with just masking or plugging, although removing totally would be better.

Re install is as easy just done in reverse order and rear mech may or may not need some fine tuning for correct shifting.

• wavey1000
    wavey1000 Posts: 59
    Thanks guys. I'm getting it sent away to be sprayed. I may ask them to remove the crank
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Watch a few YouTube videos and strip it down yourself. Nothing is particularly difficult if you have the right tools. A good set of allen keys and a couple of torx tools and you should be able to strip almost everything from the frame.
    I would suggest it is worth getting the tools to remove the chain set yourself as this is something you are likely to do again the future as part of general maintenance or upgrading.
    The most difficult thing will be removing the headset and bb (if it is press fit) if you don't have the correct drifts. I would suggest taking the frame to your LBS to get the these removed as it is probably not worth buying the tools to do it yourself.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • wavey1000
    Hmmm not sure what it is re the headset. Do I need to remove this for a spray job and its internal?
  • reaperactual
    edited June 2020
    Integrated headsets have bearings resting directly onto inside of headtube. This type wouldn't be a problem.

Semi integrated have press fit cups at top and bottom of headtube that the bearings sit in.

External headsets have cups, usually the bottom one sits underneath the headtube to fit wider tapered bearings onto non tapered headtubes.

It is these cups that would require removing and replacing when respraying frames. Tricky because they need removing using a special splayed tool to remove without damage although they can be knocked out with more crude methods which if not done carefully can damage headtube and/or cups in the process.

A headset press would be needed to re fit but can be also done in a crude way which can cause damage the same way as removing them.
  • wavey1000
    FSA Orbit C-40 ACB/Industrial 1.1/8 to 1.1/2" Tapered - Integrated

Happy then should not be an issue.

A new paint job for me then, but as it is a 3 week turnaround in will wait for the bad weather.

Thanks for all the advice
  • reaperactual
    Good to go then wavey1000! :) Good luck on your colour choice and interested to see how it turns out!

Hope you will put some pics on to show what bike looks like after its all done.
  • wavey1000
    Of course but will be later this year as I cant do without my bike over summer.

Think I am going for the attached as it will look awesome with my white Rockshox

• wavey1000