Dustcaps - Yes or No?

thomas.d.maw
thomas.d.maw Posts: 3
edited June 2020 in Road general
I have never really seen the point of a dust cap as I have never experienced or heard anyone encounter valve problems by not using them. On top of this, I also think they look quite ugly, especially when you have a nice set of wheels. I have never used dust caps but would be interested to hear what any pro's/cons there are of using/not using them and your personal preference if you use them or not.
Scott Speedster 10
Giant Defy 4

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    You just haven't found the right dust caps.

https://images.app.goo.gl/fCCwGPAP6Ue1KhWh9
  • That would certainly make my bike a head turner... maybe not for the right reasons though!!
    Scott Speedster 10
    Giant Defy 4
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have some pretty coloured caps that go with my cable end caps.

It's entirely up to you though. Nobody cares.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283

I have never really seen the point of a dust cap. On top of this, I also think they look quite ugly, especially when you have a nice set of wheels. I have never used dust caps.

First world problem. :'(

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    The bigger question is, why would you ask?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I have never really seen the point of a dust cap as I have never experienced or heard anyone encounter valve problems by not using them. On top of this, I also think they look quite ugly, especially when you have a nice set of wheels. I have never used dust caps but would be interested to hear what any pro's/cons there are of using/not using them and your personal preference if you use them or not.

Dust caps, the clue is in the name. Particularly when mountain biking. Imagine trying to pump up a tyre if the inside of the valve was full of dirt or rusted. Also don't use metal dust caps. I've seen these become practically welded to the valve.
  • Only time I've ever used dust-caps is on MTB as suggested, or on my spare inner tubes, to prevent the end of the Presta valve piercing the rolled-up tube in my very small/ tight saddle pouch...
  • shaun1961
    shaun1961 Posts: 16
    It's a no brainer.Any inner tubes i've bought come with them.You've paid for them,so put them on!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Compeletely pointless on a presta valve, throw them away. I guess on a schraeder (MTB type) valve (if that's your thing) they do actually stop dust getting in.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Yes, as long as they are black OR colour coded to other parts of your bike.
    Oh and preferably metal ones, not the crappy plastic ones that break if you look at them.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rj2013
    rj2013 Posts: 21
    We had a coming together between two riders on a club ride a couple of years ago (the old "one thought we were going right and the other straight on" type scenario) one of the riders fell on the back wheel of the other and it turned out he was not using dust caps.
    unluckily the valve pierced his shorts and embedded itself into his bum cheek! :s
    there were a few cries of "help, I'm stuck to the wheel" before he managed to extricate himself!

he was able to finish the ride and visited A&E to get it looked at and cleaned up afterwards.. The thought of getting someone embedded on my bike (albeit under very rare circumstances) is enough for me to use dust caps! :-)

before you ask the bikes were OK but the valve needed cleaning.. :D

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Yet another reason to use 32 spoke wheels. I can't imagine a bum cheek finding it's way into my valve. :D:D:D
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Good job the end of the valve didn't break off and give him a pneumatic buttock augmentation..
  • rj2013
    rj2013 Posts: 21
    neeb said:

Good job the end of the valve didn't break off and give him a pneumatic buttock augmentation..

:D:D we did laugh and joke about this (among others!) but he was quite lucky that it didn't, I dread to think what 100 odd psi being injected into a buttock would do!