SRAM Eagle - new cassette wobbles

Hi - please can you advise...I have changed the rear cassette, an SRAM XG 1150 (11 speed) and had problem indexing. When I have looked closer, I can see the cassette "oscillates" compared to the hub spokes - its not loose but it looks like its at an angle so as it rotates around it moves in and out. I placed the old (same model) back on and it does not do this. I did this several times, I found that it needs greasing etc for proper placement, no joy. Have I got a faulty cassette?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I would not be happy with that, it's not going to get any better is it? The shifting from one ring to the other will suffer because the mech won't be oscillating will it? So the chain being presented to the cassette will be left / spot-on / right of where it needs to be.
    But I guess it depends upon how much of an oscillation. Your eye will detect quite small movements that are out of true. But it depends upon the impact.

Even if it shifted ok on the workstand, under pressure may be a different matter. But if it exhibits problems on the workstand, then in my view it's a warranty claim. Is it possible to take two pics 180 degrees apart showing how much of a sideways movement there is. Maybe have a bright yellow tape measure with black markings in the background? Focus on the ring with the most movement (the big one I assume). Sellotape the tape measure band to the bike so it won't move and show that in the pics. This is the evidence that you need that something is wrong. Maybe a very short video clip?

How about a shot along the axis, ie at right angles to looking at the individual gears wobbling. That may also show the degree of out of truth.

When I say get some pics, I'm assuming that you can't take the whole bike into the LBS where you bought the cassette, where the problem will be obvious.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Your not the only one that has had this problem with Sram cassettes. At least two YouTube clips (Sram GX cassette issue, is this normal?) showing the same movement you're describing.

As stated, it ain't right and I wouldn't accept it whether it effects shifting or not. Return for a replacement, warranty claim, etc.
  • evans868
    evans868 Posts: 7
    Hi Steve, thanks for responding. It is a pretty obvious oscillation - I would estimate 5mm plus. Ill see if I can get a photo on here to show. Unfortunately I bought the cassette from a place in Germany (Bike-Discount) which seems like a pretty bad decision at this point although I will try and put a claim in. My LBS is closed (Covid) at the moment, there is a Halfords, but Im pretty reticent to pay more at this point for someone else to show something that looks to be faulty
  • steve_sordy
    edited June 2020
    There is no need to send anything back, make your claim by email.

I have bought expensive tyres from German companies over the internet. When the tyres failed at the bead after not many miles, all I had to do was to send photographic evidence (over the 'net of course) and they offered me a replacement or a refund. The tyre problem happened twice, each time from a different German company. Yes, the replacement was from the same production batch, despite coming from a different retailer.

What I would do is to buy another cassette and get yourself riding, that then gives you time to let the process grind painfully on.
  • reaperactual
    Been wondering about the cassette but not much experience with XD Drivers.

Any possibility it's not seated properly or has a specific spline pattern to to fit, burrs or something in the way between the interfaces as the whole cassette sounds out of alignment as opposed to specific cogs?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    I've always been of the opinion that Shimano is solid and SRAM a bit shi te but bling.
  • reaperactual
    You could be right. I have an NX 11speed with standard Shimano spline freehub to fit which has been fine for me so far.

Just thinking if I was in your position of facing a warranty claim I would want to be sure the problem doesn't lie in a simple fitting or other,minor, simple to fix problem?

Costs nothing to have a close look at the interface between the freehub and cassette to make sure that returning is the only option left for your own piece of mind?
  • steve_sordy
    edited June 2020
    I was talking to a couple of guys on the trail today and one of them mentioned that his mate's Sram cassette was wobbling like yours. He was convinced that the cassette carrier had not been machined true. Hence the whole cassette wobble. Anyway he got a replacement under warranty and the new one was the same!

It occurs to me that if the manufacture was wrong, there could be thousands of them about!