S-Works Tarmac SL6

I've been riding an SL5 Tarmac for over a year and I loved it.

Unfortunately it developed a small crack around the seat post area and I have to say between the retailer (Certini) and Specialized, I couldn't be happier with the speed with which they helped on the warranty front.

To my surprise, they offered a SL6 frameset as a replacement! The only colour they had was gloss black which is ok, but maybe a bit bland - I'm growing to like it more now its built up. If anything, it might help me be less precious about it as my best bike and ride it in all seasons.

Just built up with:
SRAM Red 22 mechanical groupset (inc direct mount SRAM brakes)
Absolute Black Oval Chainrings
S-Works SL Stem
Bontrager Aelous 3 Pro wheels which i've had for a while (I have just changed the decals to black)
Bontrager Aeolus saddle (amazing new affordable saddle which I now have on all my bikes)
Moon Nebula rear light using dedicated saddle clamp

Only 2 things left I would change:
Handlebars - hoping to get Prime Doyenne Aero bars once they come back into stock.
Tyres - would love gumwall tyres to help give the bike a bit of interest but struggling to find any clinchers that offer the performance and protection of my trusty GP4000s.
If anyone has any suggestions on that from i'd love to hear them.

First ride on it coming up this evening!

As a side note, if anyone could help with info on the frameset i'd love to hear just out of interest.
I'm assuming its a 2018 frameset - but I cannot find a black gloss SL6 with white logos listed anywhere after a good bit of searching, which is really weird.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Loving it!

Although you need to get a white sticker or something to cover the red on the shifters.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Thanks Singleton - I seen that one too, but it definitely looks to be a satin finish whereas mine is a high gloss finish.

After much debate over this past few days, due to the lack of time I have for riding (I tend to spend more time on the trainer very early in the morning these days) and a change in family circumstances, I think i'm going to sell this beauty - its wayyyy too good a bike to be sitting about my garage getting out for a 40km spin once or twice a week.

Think i'll take some time and try to find a standard Tarmac frame and build it up with an Ultegra groupset I have spare and keep the rest for a smart trainer (hoping Zwift will bring something out soon as the Kickr bike is just far too dear).
  • roubaixtom
    roubaixtom Posts: 316
    Hi,

The reason for the gloss black is that Specialized paint a batch of S-Works tarmac both rim and disc in this colour so the6 have a standard warranty replacement frame instead of carrying lots of different colour warranty stock.

I have one but disc brake

• bsharp77
    Ahh thanks for that Tom - nice to know.
    Not much interest on the selling front so far, i'll give it a couple of weeks and if its still not sold I might be tempted to keep and do a custom paint job on it to liven it up a bit.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I have a similar bike I don't ride much. Don't worry, things come and go and time will make itself available.

Especially now - why not spend that trainer time outside? Otherwise - why bother riding on the trainer at all?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    My mate has had a tarmac s works for a good few years now. Replaced the frame due to it cracking. Replaced the fork due to a stone chip (we think) breaking the carbon.
    The dealership has been great but it does seem a bit fragile compared to cheaper heavier carbon frames around.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Bike looks great. Never a massive fan of black though.

I should be getting my SL6 this week. Cannot wait!
  • rodigan
    rodigan Posts: 5
    edited July 2020
    bsharp77 said:

I think i'm going to sell this beauty - its wayyyy too good a bike to be sitting about my garage getting out for a 40km spin once or twice a week.

HOLD THE PHONE. What size is this?!

Edit: Oh never mind, I just saw it's a 56. Looking for a 52 but they're hard to find at the moment.
  • bsharp77
    UPDATED!

Decided to keep the bike and have had it resprayed in blue/purple chameleon flip paint with metallic white logos. I absolutely love it and can't stop looking at it - turned it into a different bike for me and one i'm likely to keep as my best for a long time.

I also managed to get a Venge faceplate which fits the S-Works SL stem, which means I could use the integrated Garmin mount which really cleans up the front and found a nice little Giant Recon light to go underneath to use as a be seen light.

Handlebars changed to Prime Doyenne 38mm, which are fantastic and great value for money and tyres changed to Schwalbe Pro One V Guard 25mm tan wall (Merlin were letting them go for silly money) plus Vittoria latex tubes.

Likely to be the best bike i'll ever own and really over the moon with it now, it puts a smile on my face every time I see it, and to ride it is just a pleasure.

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Very nice.
    Looks quite similar to mine (chameleon paint and grey graphics)
  • Like it - smart!
  • bsharp77
    Thanks for the kind comments.
    Just to update, bike is going like a dream.

I've since upgraded the cassette to a Dura Ace 12-28 cassette I've had sitting around in the garage for a good while now and also tried the NFS lube.
    Also found some really nice bottle cages on eBay which compliment the paint job, really happy with them at a very low cost - plus my camelbak bottles fit really well into them.

Never had a bike shift as well and is whisper quiet, plus the change to a 28 tooth cassette naturally keeps the chain in a straighter line for my style of riding which is great, while also giving an easier gear for spinning on really tough inclines.
    I've had a lot of bikes over the years, and never had a bike that goes uphill so well. Ridiculous how a bike can be so fast, fun and yet comfortable at the same time.

Theres not a lot left to do to the bike at this stage other than to continue to ride it with a huge smile on my face. Would love to upgrade to Red Etap in the future to really clean up the front end, but the way Red22 shifts so crisply as is, the upgrade cost is just not worth it.

The only other thing is the quick release skewers (lifeline carbon) - noticing a bit of front wheel flex/rub on steep climbs and have read that the lifeline skewers might be the problem here. If anyone has any suggestions on light, strong skewers i'd love to hear from you.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    What a stunning bike. Amazing choice on the frame paint.

If I could change one thing it'd be to neaten up the cable on the RD.

What size cassette was on it originally?
  • bsharp77
    Cheers 50x11. Yes now that you say it, that could certainly be looked at.
    I was thinking of trying the Jagwire Elite Link cabling as a future upgrade as well, which might be an extra finishing touch.

I originally had a SRAM 11-25 cassette on there which was ok, but the dura ace cassette just gives me so much flexibility and suits where I tend to naturally sit on a cassette better for general riding if that makes sense (keeping me away from the edge of the cassette), plus the dura ace cassette is crazy light and quite the piece of engineering.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    bsharp77 said:

Cheers 50x11. Yes now that you say it, that could certainly be looked at.
    I was thinking of trying the Jagwire Elite Link cabling as a future upgrade as well, which might be an extra finishing touch.

I originally had a SRAM 11-25 cassette on there which was ok, but the dura ace cassette just gives me so much flexibility and suits where I tend to naturally sit on a cassette better for general riding if that makes sense (keeping me away from the edge of the cassette), plus the dura ace cassette is crazy light and quite the piece of engineering.

Yeah I know what you mean, I've went to a 52-36 and 11-28 this year, and really found my rhythm using the middle of the block more. Really enjoying it, wondering how I'll find riding a 50-34 again on my winter bike.

On the cabling, it looks like it comes out of the frame the same place as my bike, and I've managed to get it down till it almost looks like a di2 cable, so a new outer and you;ll be flying.

The wheel tyre combo is stunning. Proper 10/10 bike.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,143
    Gorgeous bike, but neaten up the cabling and the rear light would look miles better upright than laying down.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Lovely bike.

Be careful shortening the RD cable - SRAM works much better with a generous loop.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Looks very dapper innit!

If you don't mind my asking.... were did you get it painted and how much?
  • bsharp77
    Hi @junglist_matty,

I'm in N.Ireland and managed to find a car respray company who are excellent. Ryan at nufinish.co.uk did an incredible job and had it ready in a week - crazy good service. It cost around £400 all said and done, which is a lot of money, but cheaper than a new bike!

Its amazing how differently I look at the bike now compared to the stock black, I absolutely love it and can't wait to ride it whereas before it was all just a bit boring and uninspiring. Guess that makes me a bit shallow, but I'm not afraid to admit that - I want my best bike to look like my best bike, which it now does!

P.S: i've now changed the rotation of the moon nebula back light :D

Intersting to hear the views on the RD cable, I won't be touching in the meantime as shifting is amazingly good and i'd kick myself if I messed it up.
    Hoping that by next year I might be able to pick up an 11 speed red etap upgrade kit for a sensible amount of money and that will be the end of cable talk!