Padded Liner Shorts Advice Needed

Can anyone offer their words of wisdom to someone with sore sit bones?
You'll be pleased to know, my Gentlemen's area is fine ;)
I'd like some cycling shorts to wear under regular trousers for leisure cycling, up to around 40 miles.

How many pairs of shorts should you buy? 7, one for everyday of the week?
It might seem an obvious question, but knowing that answer would make any difference to how much to spend on each pair.

Can you treat them like regular underwear? i.e. you put them in the dirty laundry basket and they're washed with other garments, once, twice, three times a week.

How long do the pads usually last?

I've spotted these from Halfords at £10 https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/all-cycling-clothing/halfords-essentials-mens-cycling-shorts-152774.html
And these £30 DHB shorts from WIggle https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-padded-liner/
I've looked at a few other stores (Decathlon), but they only have stock over my size.

Is it worth taking a punt on the Halfords ones, and get 3 times the quantity or should I get the DHB ones for 3 times the quality?

Thank you :)

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    In my experience of wearing £20 shorts and £200 shorts - they all go in the wash with my normal laundry at 40 deg. Never tumble dried. I wear my best shorts less often so they last longer. I have never used a fancy wash for them either.

I wear a fresh pair every ride, except when I rode to work - I'd wear the same pair home as I wore in - so buy as many as you need. I don't commute any more and have 4 or 5 pairs, including a thicker, fleecy pair for winter.

For 40 miles I would invest in quality, but it all depends on the user. Sometimes sore sit bones is caused by a poor saddle or poor bike bit as your weight is distributed through your backside and none through your upper body. That said, Wiggle DHB have an excellent reputation so that would be a great place to start.

Generally speaking, cycling shorts are designed to be worn as is - nothing underneath and nothing over the top, but I understand if you want to be a bit more discreet. You will also find that cycle shorts have no seams running across your backside, so that should also improve comfort / chafing.

Most cyclists wear bib shorts - with over the shoulder straps. These are more comfortable as they stop the padded liner moving around. They feel a bit odd at first, but you soon get used to it.

As for pads, I've never worn one out - usually the material / stitching goes first or you crash.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    Hi 0110,
    If you’re looking for something to go under regular cycling trousers I have used these for several years now. I use them for mountain biking under a pair of other shorts. I reckon they do a pretty good job. They’re slim so don’t show if you stop and I have not had any issues with rubbing. I use some chamois cream for longer rides.
    They won’t last for ever, no shorts do, the elastic round the waist can go loose after a while. The material round the pad on my latest pair has worn, but doesn’t affect comfort for me. I tend to wear Large in most shorts, but go for medium in these.
    I’m pretty fastidious about having a clean pair of shorts for every ride, but they wash v well and dry very quickly.
    Worth trying a pair for £23. Have just ordered a 2nd pair of the women’s version for my wife.
    Hope this helps

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-padded-liner-shorts-1/
  • RedClip
    RedClip Posts: 110
    shirley_basso, molteni_man and oxoman.
    Thank you very much for the great help :)