Newbie builder question: Giant Defy Advanced 2 2015 - Rear Brake Cable Routing.

Good Morning,

First time posting here and first time bike builder!

I managed to get my hands on a brand new Giant Defy Advanced 2 frame which I am currently using to build myself a new road bike. Unfortunately there were no cables already installed in the frame so I have been having some difficulty establishing the correct routing/cable configuration for the rear disc brake cable.

Could someone who has this bike or has changed the rear cable please advise if the cable routing through the frame is either:

1. Bare inner cable from the top tube entry point to the exit point .
2. Full inner and outer cable for the whole cable run.
3. Small internal guide tube/sheath from top tube to exit point?

I have found some similar questions online without finding a definitive answer..

Thanks in advance your help!

Ben

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    wasnt 2015 they went to hydraulic brakes? it routes through the down tube under the bottom bracket and down the chain stay.

The easiest way to get these in Ive found is to push and pull them through from the bottom to the top. You will need a string or park tool or similar thing to guide it up and out of the frame

• Thanks for the input but no they are cable pull TRP brakes.

I have been able to install guide cables through the frame already just wondering what the actual original configuration of cable outers/sheath was?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Thanks for the input but no they are cable pull TRP brakes.

I have been able to install guide cables through the frame already just wondering what the actual original configuration of cable outers/sheath was?

no idea but if i were fitting cables their now and there wasnt a sheath present I would run it bare. the stuff thats there originally usually has more to do with manufacturing convienience than performance. Maybe a little liner round the bb area.
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    edited June 2020
    I have a 2016 Defy Advanced with cable pull TRP spyre brakes.

The rear cable on mine is full outer/inner all the way from the shifter to the caliper.

The outer enters the frame on the left hand side of the fork steerer, travels down the inside of the downtube, under the bottom bracket, along the left hand chain stay, out the hole in the frame and to the brake caliper (rubber grommets are used on both the entry into and exit out of the frame to tidy things up).

The gear cables travel together with a more complex tubing arrangement. The rear brake has its own single entry and exit points, straight outer and inner all the way to the caliper on mine.