Cassette - rear hub 'play'

pkiver
pkiver Posts: 2
I've searched google and searched Youtube but can find no definitive answer so............

The bike - a Vitus Razor Claris 2019 fitted with a Shimano 8-speed 11-28T cassette on a KT 130mm hub.

The mission - to replace the 11-28 with a 11-32 to help ease the hills. The Claris can take up to a 11-32 without any modifications (according to the Shimano data sheet).

After a massive effort to remove the 11-28 (another story) I fitted the 11-32 and gave it a road-test. Gear changing was fine, no strange noise so all was well - or so I thought. There is no wear or scoring on the hub itself.

After yesterday's outing I noticed some 'rattling' (over less than perfect tarmac, it's true but I hadn't picked up on it before the change) so had a look at the cassette afterwards.

The lock nut was firmly in place but behind the firmly secured 11T cog (which is the only separate gear in this set up (the other 7 cogs are connected as one), there was 'play' in that the cassette could move laterally (along the hub) by about 1mm and there was also general looseness around the entire hub but probably no more than 1mm.

I put the old cassette back on and to my surprise this one was 'loose' but perhaps not quite to the same degree.

It appears to me that the locking ring tightened against the 11T but just isn't compressing the 11T cog against the rest of the cassette and thus against it's rear stop on the hub as the lateral 'play' is between the main cassette and the 11T.

There was no spacer supplied with the new 11-32 cassette nor did one come off the 11-28 (as far as I can recall).

And so to the questions:

1. Is a degree of 'play' of the cassette on the hub normal and acceptable?
2. If so, how much?
3. If there shouldn't be any 'play' would a 1mm spacer be the answer to 'solidify' the 11T/rest of cassette combination.
4. Where would the spacer be best placed?

All advice and opinions will be very much appreciated.

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Is the 11-32 an mtb or a road cassette? I have Hope hubs which have a wider road freehub which needs a 1.85mm spacer fitting on first before fitting mtb cassettes.
  • pkiver
    pkiver Posts: 2
    It's a road cassette.

This is cassette is the only 'mod' I've made to a bog-standard Vitus Razor road bike. As mentioned, the hub accommodated the 11-28 and should be a straight-swap Shimano-Shimano operation.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    There shouldn't be any lateral play in the rest of the cassette. The lockring is bottoming out before fully tightening the rest of the cogs.

A spacer fitted onto the freehub first inboard of the cassette will make everything tight as it should be.