25.4mm Flat Handlebars

figus1979
figus1979 Posts: 22
edited June 2020 in Road general
Hello

Apologies if this has been asked before or is anywhere else on the forum but is there such a thing as a flat handlebar that is a constant 25.4mm from left to right of its entire length?

I have looked on ebay and used a search engine but can not as of yet find anything.

If not I feel i may have to use a shim so that my brake handles can be secured to my existing handlebar.

Thank you for taking the time to read this...

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Normal flat bar controls are all designed for a bar diameter of 22.2mm, which is the diameter of flat bars where the controls mount. What brake levers are you trying to fit?
  • figus1979
    Hello

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The brake levers I have are Tektro RL726 Cycle Cross Top 26mm.

Thank you
  • thebigman
    thebigman Posts: 57
    The outer diameter of your levers are 26mm not the inner. You will find all flat bar controls are 22.2 inner. Your stem clamp will be 25.4 and they will taper to 22,2 at the bar ends.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Crosstop levers are probably not what you want. They're intended to mount on the middle of a drop bar in between the normal brake lever and the brakes. They can't be used on their own, as they don't have a way of securing the cable.

What brakes are you trying to use? There's different levers for road bikes (either cantilever or caliper type) and mountain bikes (V-brakes generally).
  • figus1979
    Hello

Thank you again both for your answers.

Originally I had bought them for the purpose on putting on drop bars but now realise and you have confirmed this that I can not use them alone. The brakes are of a caliper type and i have seen on ebay some Shimano ones that will do the job and are 22.2mm.

Thank you for your time!