Evans Cycles

Evans Cycles - online. I ordered a new road bike for my wife on 29 April 2020 and to date 1 June 2020, no bike. Deposit paid etc. but the new bike just doesn't turn up.

They are almost impossible to contact using electronic measures, tried their thing on the web site and they simply don't bother responding, just an automated mail saying they will try and respond with 7 to 10 DAYS! Then they don't. You can't phone them, as for some reason COVID-19 prevents them from answering the phone?

Finally wrote them a letter and posted it, and after a few days received a mail, saying some problem with their internal system, and it will be fast tracked on 28 May 2020, but still didn't state when the bike will be delivered. So, 33 days have gone by, huge frustration because Evans don't both communicating and no bike or any idea if or when it will arrive.

I will never buy another bike online from Evans Cycles as they are hopeless. However, they are very happy to take your money!

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    edited June 2020
    I was just about to post a similar thread but thought I’d get a load of grief for not being understanding given the current situation. I’ve had the same issues with Evans and Others and don’t know why contact is not possible. My organisation has maintained customer contact since day one of the lockdown by staff working remotely. FWIW I have generally found Evans to be very good.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    That's what happens when you shops at a Mike Ashley store.
    Sorry. (More than you'll get from him by the way).
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ordered one bike from Evans and all went well.

That was before cv19 though.

Times are different now.

Hope the bike arrives soon.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Prob a "one rant wonder"
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Hmmm.....
    Evans Cycles, owned by Mike (I don't give a s**t about anyone but myself) Ashley.
    What were you expecting?
    This is the same bloke who at the start of the pandemic was trying to maintain that Sports Direct was an essential service and has kept his warehouse in Shirebrook open throughout in Victorian slavehouse conditions, no automation, just poor plebs working side by side under atrocious conditions.
    The bloke has bitten off more than he can chew and the retail sector is screwed.
    It pays to do some research before committing money up front.
    I wouldn't give that fat "Toon Army" chancer a penny, but.....
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    There is massive demand for bikes at the moment, with a lot of places selling out. So they are probably going to have a massive backlog of orders they haven't shipped yet. I guess you need to decide whether you wait or you call your card company to try and get the money refunded.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,585
    edited June 2020
    I used to shop fairly regularly at Evans, although had two fairly major issues with 2 bikes sourced from them - both were sorted out, but it certainly took some work, and contacts.

If you have looked at their stock since they were taken over by he who shall not be mentioned, it has all gone even more to sh1t - sad to see all the reputable and quality brands they no longer stock, and also the fact a load of catalogue style BSO's and associated kit has been shipped in - it's a joke shop now imho, I don't check for any items on there these days.

I also found out recently that he owns Tri UK - loads of us ordered massively reduced Mavic kit, which mysteriously was in a warehouse that was then unavailable.
    I didn't realise who owned it when i ordered, but know better now.

Oh and also if and when the bike does arrive, check all of the parts - both of mine had incorrect parts fitted, and I har to argue the case to get a refund for buying the correct part, but bear in mind this is when they were Evans as we once knew it.

One bike had a 300mm alloy seatpost as opposed to the 350mm carbon seatpost specified, and the same bike had different (Cheaper and rigid) tyres to those specced.
    A lot of people would not have noticed.

And the other bike came with a 300mm seatpost instead of a 350mm.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    I ordered one of the very reduced Mavic Cometes from TRI UK, which did arrive badly packaged from an Evans Warehouse. I sent they back TRI UK themselves and they sent a new pair as it should have been, refunded the postage and a bit more for goodwill. I did deal with the mail order telephone line, whereas if you go via the website I think Evans handles on their behalf.