Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Lighting for the garage

daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,778
Greetings all,

have just had the electrics upgraded in my garage, and am looking to get some proper lighting in there - the electrician working on it is going to put in a dedicated fuse box, with a slot for lighting.

It's a fairly big garage, so I'm thinking 2 or 3 lights that can be linked together.

I know ITB amongst others recently put some lighting in, but I can't recall on which thread.

I had a look on Amazon, and this one seemed to be a likely candidate, as both being suitable for garages and linkable: https://amazon.co.uk/Airand-Linkable-Basement-Restaurant-Hostipatal/dp/B07WMMLJFZ

I've also seen that Screwfix sell a large number of offerings, so there may be something mroe suitable through them:
https://screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/led-battens/cat8010010?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-lighting-_-ledbattenfittings

Opinions appreciated :-)
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,852
    Daniel, personally i would get from Screwfix or B&Q same company. That way your guaranteed some comeback as amazon is mainly just a fulfilment warehouse for other suppliers who come and go at alarming regularity. Most LED,s are made in China, Taiwan or similar regions. The technology used is a lot better now compared to a few years ago but they still have a long way to go to be as long-lived as fluorescent lights. We upgraded our factory with highbay LED,s and Battens in other areas and have had the battens fail pretty regularly. Main failures on the battens have been the electronic drivers failing and the highbays have been the fancy electronic switching controllers. The interconnections between linked battens has also been known to fail as well. I would wire each light together rather than use a interconnection kit. Depending on the make up of your garage, ie painted walls or ceiling, glazed windows for natural light be careful with the colour as LED lighting can be very harsh and cast bad shadows. Think about how you want the light spreading. The last garage i did for myself, i had a 5ft twin batten over the bench at one end. 2 4ft singles on each side and one 5ft twin across the middle plus one above the garage door if it was shut. That gave me enough light to do reasonable bodywork and car repairs. It was unpainted with no natural light and not LED.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 8,919
    edited May 2020
    Daniel, I can recommend the lap fittings, I have 2x5 and 3 x4 ft fittings in the garage , the 5 ft fittings being over the work area, I bought the lap battens after a recommendation from a previous post on here
  • redbikejohnredbikejohn Posts: 156
    I'd also recommend 5foot HF (high frequency) fittings over LED's as I've found Led's to be less than reliable. With the rush of companies opting for power saving the cost has come down but the quality is just as cheap - drivers fail regularly.
  • dannbodgedannbodge Posts: 947
    I've had some LED strip lights in my outbuilding for a few years now and they've been superb. No issues with buzzing or them failing.

I got them from Toolstation:
    https://www.toolstation.com/sensio-connex-cct-led-strip-light/p91303
    You'll be ok with the LED,s for normal domestic use, sadly not up to 24/7 usage in industrial or commercial premises.
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,778
    Thanks all for the replies, excuse the delay.

Some really useful stuff to be looking into, and yes I think i will look to a bricks and mortar store rather than just off of Amazon.

Interesting the different viewpoints on the reliability or best choices for the job!

We are now also thinking about having a 'garden office' put in at the bottom of the garden, and if we go ahead that will also require adequate lighting.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Really people still install fluorescents? I’m shocked. All you need to do is buy high quality LED battens for your garage. I put in a Thorn lighting unit in my bike room. The modern equivalent of the old popular pack. Works like a dream. If you google search Thorn LED battens you will be able to pick out the sizes you require based on light output.
  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 19,772
    Having my laps batten attached to a smart plug means i can use routines triggered by a phrase to turn on the lights, turbo, beer fridge (like that is ever off). I’m leaving the laptop and Apple TV on all the time, then I have one word to turn everything off when I’m done, next steps is a remote electric garage door linked to my smart home.
    Rule #5 // Harden The censored Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
    A lot of the current generation of LED battens that we are using at the minute come with inbuilt light level and movement sensors so won't come on if bright enough or switch off when no activity. These normally come with selectable light level and time switching.
    Aberdeen Lune. We can't really fit the old fluorescent lights as frowned upon and getting harder to get, what I said was they are still more reliable than the current generation LED battens. If I get 2 yrs out of an LED im lucky compared with probably double that of a standard fluorescent batten. Doesn't seem to matter if made in Taiwan, China or Italy they're all PP for longevity. Please note this is in an industrial setting working 365 days of the yr. Not a problem for domestic use.
    itboffin said:

Having my laps batten attached to a smart plug means i can use routines triggered by a phrase to turn on the lights, turbo, beer fridge (like that is ever off). I’m leaving the laptop and Apple TV on all the time, then I have one word to turn everything off when I’m done, next steps is a remote electric garage door linked to my smart home.

I had a really good chap (And keen cyclist as it happens) fit our rollerdoor last summer, let me know if you want his details, he did a great job imho.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 19,772
    Oh I totally missed this please Dan can you pm me
    Rule #5 // Harden The censored Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • skooterskooter Posts: 264
    I have some LED's but put a few extra strips in as more light is never a bad thing.
    itboffin said:

Oh I totally missed this please Dan can you pm me

And now i have missed it ITB, will send you an IM now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18