Strava Beacon + Garmin Live Track not working

I originally posted this in MTB section but got no answers so hoping some roadies might be able to help.

Beacon and Live Track are both sending notifications when I start a ride, but both say "activity not started" for the duration of the ride, ie/ they are not providing any tracking info.

I am using a Garmin Edge 520 and an Android phone, both have worked perfectly for the last couple of years.

I have tried:-

1) uninstalling/reinstalling both apps.

2) turning bluetooth on and off

3) deleting and re-pairing the Garmin with the phone

4) starting LiveTrack manually and using autostart

I'm running out of ideas anyone had similar issues and found a successful solution ?

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Did it work before and has it recently stopped working?
    I'm just wondering if it's something got broken when Strava changed the premium/subscriptions thing.
  • daviescgwen
    daviescgwen Posts: 44
    How can you check it’s working?
  • reaction57
    reaction57 Posts: 20
    edited May 2020
    Yes both worked seamlessly before.

Very easy to check if it's working, Strava automatically sends your safety contact(s) a text message which shows your progress, and when you finish its shows completed ride.
    Garmin Live track sends an email link to your contacts which shows your progress and some ride data.

Both are very good - when they work - and provide peace of mind when riding alone.

Personally I think its the Garmin software that is causing the problem, lots of similar posts on other forums, but no solutions.

Garmin are not very good at acknowledging problems and are even worse at providing solutions.

ps: it was broken before Strava changed the subscription details

• There has just been an update to the software on my 520. Might be worth installing that and seeing what happens.
  • reaction57
    I have the latest software installed.

I've now sent an email to Garmin support, fingers crossed for a quick solution, but based on other forum posts not expecting Garmin to be of much help, I really hope I'm proved wrong.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,213
    Is your phone optimised? Try going to Settings, Device Care, Optimise.
  • reaction57
    Thanks, but yes I do that regularly.
    Still waiting for Garmin response...................
  • reaction57
    Garmin just did another software update and Strava beacon is now working again.
  • reaction57
    Strava beacon worked for just one ride and has now stopped again.

I've not had a response from Garmin yet.

I will be stopping my Strava Summit, I only paid for it because I wanted the Beacon tracking feature.