Will an 11 Speed Chainring fit the Shimano 12 Chain?

Looking to upgrade to Shimano 1x12 speed drivetrain groupset. I want to keep my 30t chainring from my current 1x11 up front.
I can get the microspline conversion kit for my hub so I know that will work.
Just need to know if the chainring is compatible with the 12 speed chain?
Any guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• dcwhite1984
    dcwhite1984 Posts: 86
    I have read up on this lately, some people say it works fine, others have reported problems. There doesnt seem to be anything definitive to say yes or no.

Only thing you can really do is try it and see.

I have a raceface cinch crank which i wanted to use with the 12 speed and opted to get a specific 12 speed chainring to go along with it.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    TBH I'm not 100% certain that you won't get away with it. Why not run it and then you can tell us how it works for you?

But my belief is that the 12-speed system was designed from the ground up as completely new system and that includes the chain and the chain rings and the tooth forms on the cassette too! The 12-speed chain is different in many ways from the lesser speeds. SRAM really banged on at length about it when they launched 12-speed. SRAM claim it has been designed and made to extend life, as well as mud clearance and chain retention. I know for sure that the tooth forms on the ring is different. They started from the premise that if the tooth looks like that after a lot of wear, why don't we start with it like that and go from there? Weird but it seems to work. I was getting 6x the life on my chain vs what I used to get with 9 and 10 speed.

I kept links to websites that went into detail about how each component had changed and how they all worked together better. But the links are now dead, I just checked.