Lower back and neck pain - please save my cycling

Hi

Hope this message finds you well. I recently baught a bike of the internet. I’ve been on 3 X 18k Over the last 10 days on my new bike. During the ride I get no pain on the bike in my back and neck. After a few hours my neck and back really stiffen up not so much pain just stiffnes. Is this just due to me not being use to cycling. In terms of the bike it’s a large which was recommend for my height.
Please help me my fellow cyclist friends

Many thanks guys

Comments

• Thanks so much for your help. Can all road bikes be made to fit in terms if adjusting stems / spacers / Sadie height

Many thanks my cycling friend
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Within limits yes.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    If you post a decent side on shot of you on the bike with foot at 6o clock people will be able to give advice if it looks a reasonable fit.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Joshlangley92
    Joshlangley92 Posts: 15
    edited June 2020

Hi
  • Thanks for your reply how do you think this looks thanks
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Terrible footwear.

Quite upright, so nothing to cause alarm re basic setup. Just soreness due to a new type of activity that'll probably pass.
  • Suspension seatpost?
  • Haha sorry about the footwear just a quick pic can assure I don’t ride with them on haha. Thanks for all your help. Does my neck seem in a good position as tends to seem a bit extended on rides and hurts at the back of neck. If it is because of a new sport how long till my body will get use to it and will stop hurting me. What is a suspension seat post please

Many thanks again for all help
  • First.Aspect

Haha sorry about the footwear just a quick pic can assure I don’t ride with them on haha. Thanks for all your help. Does my neck seem in a good position as tends to seem a bit extended on rides and hurts at the back of neck. If it is because of a new sport how long till my body will get use to it and will stop hurting me. What is a suspension seat post please

Many thanks again for all help

Suspension seatpost just telescopes slightly and is supposed to soften the ride. Don't bother, unless you have a sore bum or lower back. Even then, probably don't bother.

Your neck should strengthen up in a few weeks. If you think about it, your head is pretty heavy and when cycling is suspended more by the muscles in the back of your neck.

I think you look pretty well set up, overall.
  • Thanks for all your help. Thinking about buying a road bike. Is it okay to buy off internet and going off the websites sizeing guide cheers
  • First.Aspect
    It's a risk for anyone, but under the present circumstances you might be willing to take a punt. Depends how much you are investing as well really.
  • Great thanks mate. If I was to go in a shop and buy one what are they key points to make sure is right regards to fitting in a shop many thanks