What cycling computer do you have

2»

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272

Fwiw I don't think the map functionality is much of a selling point. Realistically how many people ride without a phone in case of emergency?

You may need to be able to follow routes, with directions appearing on the screen, but even a 510 can do that.

Yeah maps and navigation are a bit of a waste of time in all these units. I find it funny when you go "off course" and after 10 miles it still tries to redirect you to the point when you got off course rather than pointing you towards the nearest (and furthest) point in the route.
    Turn by turn also is a bit iffy... it works most of the times except when it decides on a right bend that you should instead turn left because it's straighter and therefore it doesn't say anything... my instinct is to follow the road, not to follow a straight line.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's best to turn off the turn-by-turn and navigate function and do that yourself. Have the route plotted as a line to follow and, if you miss a turn, it's usually pretty intuitive how to get back on course.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited May 2020
    I have a Garmin Edge Touring + . Annoyingly - nowhere on any of the four pages of displays does it show average speed.
    Still - I have rode many a mile toying with the mental arithmetic and working it out myself. Sometimes it can be fun if the numbers are playing nice but I'd rather have a unit that does it for me.
    Does anyone else have a bike computer that doesn't show average speed?
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    I also use a Garmin Forerunner watch.
  • Dgtlman
    Dgtlman Posts: 9
    I started with Cyclemeter for the iPhone. Overtime, I decided that I didn't want my phone mounted to the front of my bike. I got a Garmin 1000 used that I later sold and upgraded to a 1030, which I really like. Garmin has its fair share of hiccups. And by the time the iron most of them out, they release a new device and repeat the process. But overall I have been happy with it.
  • Garmin Edge 830.

I was using the 530 but I gave that to my partner and she loves it. I prefer the 830 now.

Also have a Fenix 6x pro. But while it’s a fantastic watch for all sorts of sports, I don’t like using it for cycling.
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    Garmin Edge 820 only had it since the back of last year only really used it for press and go not really used the navigation on it much.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    Hi, I've had 3 Garmins, after the 2nd one i said never again but didn't learn my lesson and bought a 3rd hoping they had improved, they hadn't!. Now got a Element Bolt, no issues whatsoever, great bit of kit!
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699
     I use a simple and cheap (£2) cycle computer from China mounted on the bike. It shows current speed, average +/- maximum speed, distance this ride/total, time riding and time, and I find them reliable. I find that’s plenty while riding. I also carry a mobile phone (in my pocket), which has cycling apps on it should I need any more information either while out or afterwards.
     I don’t like the idea of mounting my phone on the bars, what a torcher test that would be for the electronics! at least until we get roads that are as smooth as a billiard table, like some of the newer roads in Spain.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Another happy Garmin 520 user here. Rarely puts a foot wrong and does everything I need and much more besides. I like how it interfaces with my Tacx smart turbo as well - controls resistance, recreates the effort of recent rides etc. My previous Edge 200 was great too, bought it for £65 and sold it for £40 four years later when I upgraded to the 520. Big fan of Garmin in general.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Had a Garmin Edge 520, was rarely flawless, would crash etc Then it stopped charging unless the cable was at a very specific angle and I gave up with it and put it away. (Tired to fix it myself after being quoted £94 replacement charge but its too complicated)

Needed a new computer and went for the fairly simple Garmin Edge 25 which does the trick. Happy with it, cant see how anything could go wrong due to its simplicity.

Have recently purchased an Wahoo Elemnt Bolt with the HR monitor, cadence and speed sensors because I have got heavily back into road riding and training. Haven't used it yet but im confident its the one.
    Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc 0 2021
    Nukeproof Digger Comp 2021
    YT Capra Pro Race 29 2018
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    All City Big Block SS 2020
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Another Garmin Edge 200 here, old model bought when Aldi had them on offer at £70. Backed up with a Cateye Strada wireless which I had already.