Help on component compatibility for Vitus Sentier VRS Hardtail Bike - SLX 1x11 2017

I need advice on part compatibility for my bike, see below link for spec.

I have a broken rear mech that I need to replace, I am either going to replace the rear mech, or just upgrade the whole lot (based on what is compatible):

1) Replacing the rear mech with the existing part (Shimano SLX RD-M7000 Shadow Plus) which costs around £65, or I was looking at Shimano Deore RD-M5120 Rear Derailleur which I think is compatible at around £40. Can anyone point out the differences?

2) As other parts of the drivetrain are nearing point of replacement it seems like a good idea to just do the whole lot in one go. To that end can anyone advise on compatability with Shimano's new line of Deore M6100/SLX M7100, XT M8100 groupsets, it would be nice to move to the 12 speed, and get the XT M8100 shifter. I am not really looking at upgrading the breaks .

I have the following bike : https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-sentier-vrs-hardtail-bike-slx-1x11-2017/rp-prod146561

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you want to change to 1x12 you will also have to change the chainset and freehub. Shimano 12-speed cassettes only fit the new microspline freehub.

If I were you I'd hunt around for a bargain priced SLX M7000 or XT M8000 rear mech.
    Tweeks have the SLX rear mech on sale for £55.
    Merlin were doing the SLX mech for £46 but are currently showing out of stock.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    JBA said:

If you want to change to 1x12 you will also have to change the chainset and freehub. Shimano 12-speed cassettes only fit the new microspline freehub.

If I were you I'd hunt around for a bargain priced SLX M7000 or XT M8000 rear mech.
    Tweeks have the SLX rear mech on sale for £55.
    Merlin were doing the SLX mech for £46 but are currently showing out of stock.

I agree. Nothing wrong with 1x11, replace mech like for like and find one on sale.

A lot of extra expense involved in upgrading to 1x12 for not much gain.