Hookless rims on a new road bike - attraction or deal killer?

2»

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited June 2020
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I had a email for some one asking what road tyres do you suggest for my new 25mm internal width rims. Bontrager suggest 32mm. I said bontrager are wrong. Etrto guildlines are specific and if you want road with tyres even the wide one gets new wheels or its 45mm tyres for you. I wont sell you the tyres you want. He probably got them elsewhere but if theres a problem it's not mine. I did expiclicity say do not for an IRCroad tyre to those rims as a warranty will come back to me. I am.posting this so it clear I dont want to sell road tyres to any one using wider than approved rims. Stretching the guidance a bit is not going to be a problem alot may be. On your head be it, not mine.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Sorry for this, but, resurrecting this thread as I'm about to get a Giant TCR with hookless rims (like the OP). There was a lot of discussion around the reliability of tyres and tyre / rim compatibility at the time of this thread and I'm wondering if the landscape has changed any?

The rims will be 19mm. internal (Giant SLR 2 42 Carbon Disc Hookless WheelSystem - 19mm inner rim width) and are shod with Giant Gavia Course 1, tubeless, 700x25c (effective width 28mm), folding. I noted @thecycleclinic 's comments around Giant and how they might know what they were doing.... I believe they also carry out testing with certain tubeless tyres for safety.

Cheers....

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,263

well, any potential benefit would be offset by the Gavia, some remarkably slow tyres!

I would not trust hookless rims with my life… I would rather descend the Alpe d’Huex with a pair of old fashioned chinese rims that melt upon braking than go hookless… at least with the former you have some degree of control over the outcome

left the forum March 2023
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098

De Gendt was the victim of a shooting from the grassy knoll, and disc brakes are to blame.

In other news, I wouldn't do hookless because you can't drop in a tube, and I'm nervous about road tubeless - although on gravel, I must say it's been utterly, utterly fantastic.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702

You can run them with a tube as long as you're using tubeless tyres. I run hookless on a couple of mountain bikes, I have no intention of doing so on road though.

• secretsam

I genuinely didn't know that. Which kind of sums up the problem with hookless - the information available and knowledge of the product doesn't match up to the prevalence of the product. Punters know less than they should, and are being confronted with choices they aren't in a position to make.

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517

Do your research, there’s plenty of info available.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,263

what is the benefit of hookless? Is it lighter rims or ease to fit a tyre?

It seems odd that as we get increasingly concerned about safety, they decide to remove a rather well established safety feature

left the forum March 2023
  • secretsam

I did, decided hookless was sufficiently mature yet, went for hooked.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140

The benefits are:

* Cheaper to produce the rim

* Lighter

* Tyre sits flush against the rim allowing a smoother transition (i.e. a small aero benefit)

(and nothing to do with tyres being easier to mount as the rim bed is the same shape, only the walls change)

Obviously the drawbacks are getting quite a lot of publicity ATM. That needs to be weighed against the shedloads of Zipps, Enve and Giant/Cadex wheels in circulation using them. However, I probably would avoid unless you could get a really good deal, as I suspect there will be further backlash off the back of the De Gendt incident, particularly now the UCI are looking at it (it wouldn't stop me buying a Giant, but I might try for a discount...)

There is little doubt that even if safe is used totally correctly, there is a much higher chance of getting wrong, as the confusion over whether De Gendts 28mm tyre were in or out of spec showed.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702

Slightly lighter, slightly better tyre profile. In reality the benefit is that they're simpler and therefore cheaper to make, though that's probably not passed on to the consumer.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618

Watched a couple of videos on the new TCR on YouTube from the usual suspects, Dave Arthur, Bikeradar etc. Strangely no mention of the wheels all being hookless. It's almost as though Giant have had a quiet word and asked them not to mention it...

• secretsam

...or maybe they've used it before and have had no issues. Giant are well known for using hookless now.

But I would have flagged it, although vids might have been done pre-de Gendtgate

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730

UCI currently investigating the safety of hookless rims after some high profile accidents in the peloton.

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803

Hookless tyres is the new "disc brakes will slice your legs off!". It's a total nothing.

That bloke who keeps winning everything is on hookless rims and he's doing just fine.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618

Worth watching the new Peak Torque YouTube video on the subject. Explains it from an engineer's perspective.

TLDR - there are significant cost savings for the manufacturers but no real advantages for the consumer.