Noisy Ultegra drivetrain

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    shortfall said:

Ep90 gear oil.

What I use. Quite a bit thicker than 3 in 1 so isn't as prone to fly off but in all honesty I don't think it matters too much what you use, the important thing is regular cleaning and reapplication.
    this, cleanliness and re-application: never go in dry.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Ran out of bike lube a couple of years ago and used ScrewFix chainsaw oil. It worked a treat but I agree with the other comments, regular chain cleaning and re-lubing is the best for longevity and performance.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited June 2021
    Just stumbled on this post - I have an Ultegra 6800 setup that runs like a dream - I even installed it myself, but I appreciate that seems to be BAU.
    This has run like this with the original 52/36 cogs, and now with a 36T absolute black chainring as well.

I also have a 9100 setup, but sold the chain and cassette, replaced with a 8000 cassette and fitted one of the KMC DLC11 chain - surprisingly in black and yellow.
    At the same time I also swapped the inner of the stock 53\39 as soon as I bought it, so it is now, and always has been (in my ownership and usage) a 53\36 - the 36 is a stock round 9100 item.

It runs more quietly than the 6800, but both are really quiet to be fair, but the 9100 has the slight edge.

Maybe I just got lucky, can't see how it can be down the cassette, as it seems 8000 users have the same issue - so the only real difference in my setup is the chain.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    Dura Ace, eh.......
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2021
    MattFalle said:

Dura Ace, eh.......

I would never have chosen it as a groupset originally, but it came on my dream bike that was reduced by 33% in what later turned out to be a closing down sale - so I went for it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    why wouldn't you have chosen it?

i honestly do not understand.
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2021
    Value for money it is not - as a standalone groupset.

Having now ridden it though I can feel the quality, and see why people might buy it, but for me it was a happy co-incidence.

I can't justify my next bike having Dura Ace with the prices rocketing like they are alas, but this one, fingers crossed, will last me many years.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    of course its value for money. it just costs more.

you want the best Shimano can offer, you buy Dura Ace.

You want mediocre, well.......

you want vfm go and buy Tiagra.
  • daniel_b
    It is value for money, but it's not THE best or optimum value for money, in my opinion.

Peoples feelings on the subject can be quite different, but I understand why people don't always go for the optimum vfm, I do this many many times :-)

I don't regret the purchase for one second, it's my favourite, and most comfy bike to ride.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Dura Ace isn't much to look at though, compared to even lower down the range campag.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    daniel_b said:

It is value for money, but it's not THE best or optimum value for money, in my opinion.

Peoples feelings on the subject can be quite different, but I understand why people don't always go for the optimum vfm, I do this many many times :-)

I don't regret the purchase for one second, it's my favourite, and most comfy bike to ride.

theres nothing to regret - you bought the best Shimano product available.

you did The Right Thing.
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

Dura Ace isn't much to look at though, compared to even lower down the range campag.

but this, yes.

compare D/A to Chorus and you'll see what we mean, let alone Record or SR.

Go further down the Shimano range and you'll start to shed tears.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

but this, yes.

They pricing is going we'll all be on claris, which does look better than 8000 mind.
  • MattFalle
    agree, but tbh the 1990s junk on my MiL's mtb looks better than Ultegra
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    elbowloh said:

My 11 speed 2015 chorus groupset is the absolute mutts nuts I still smile every time I drop a bunch of gears up or down with a single held press of the levers not to mention it just looks like artwork
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

but this, yes.

That may well be the case but if you can't afford DA you don't have much choice.

In my case I couldn't so as the Ultegra parts wear out, break or whatever I may well replace with DA but when I bought the bike there was simply just no way I could afford the DA equivalent.
  • ibr17xvii said:

ibr17xvii said:

FWIW I've just got a new bike with Ultegra R8000 groupset & I think it's noisier than my winter bike with 105. Not annoyingly so but still noticeable nonetheless.

Only ridden it a dozen times so far for about 300 miles, just cleaned & relubed the (KMC) chain so hoping it might get quieter as it beds in.

Funnily enough this is exactly my scenario. Gone from a silent 105 5800 to a new ultegra bike and can’t believe the difference in the noise made by the supposedly superior components.
    I’ve got about 900 miles on it now and no sign of it improving. 😢
    I’ve read that some on dura ace 9100 had success with a narrower 12 speed chain but I’m sceptical about trying this.

I'd planned to upgrade to Di2 at some point & it's making me want to get it sooner. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing though......
    My Dura Ace Di2 is noisy too .It drives me nuts .Nothing has lessened it in any way
  • MattFalle
    just out if interest, are all these noisy drivetrains di2 or mechanical as well?
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

just out if interest, are all these noisy drivetrains di2 or mechanical as well?

Both in my case. I had mechanical then Di2 & they were / are both noisy.

I'm pretty convinced (in my case anyway) that it's the KMC chain. I've got a new DA one to try but not got round to putting it on yet.

They do seem to quieten down after bedding in though.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    How much of this so called 'noise' is actually because people are riding overly stiff plastic bikes with plastic wheels each with 12 spokes at higher tension than a friendly meeting between Boris and Macron, and oversized hollow axles and wotnot. They are all acoustic transmitters.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    As I said above with my Dura ace chainset rear mech and Ultegra chain and cassette, the only real noise is coming from the tyres and the deep rims. I rode for 9 hours plus on Tuesday on roads of all shapes and conditions and everything was fine.
  • First.Aspect
    daniel_b said:

Everyone agrees with you, except for MF and Alan Sugar. From this we can conclude that either MF is rich or a mug. You decide.

And this from someone who can afford things like Dura ace or, I don't know, a Porsche, but isn't daft enough.
  • MattFalle

daniel_b said:

Everyone agrees with you, except for MF and Alan Sugar. From this we can conclude that either MF is rich or a mug. You decide.

And this from someone who can afford things like Dura ace or, I don't know, a Porsche, but isn't daft enough.
    errr - no.

we went through this ages ago and it was commonly agreed across the whole of the forum that Tiagra was better vfm and performed just as well as Ulehea, as evidenced by usuage in the Commonwealths.

So there.

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

daniel_b said:

errr - no.

we went through this ages ago and it was commonly agreed across the whole of the forum that Tiagra was better vfm and performed just as well as Ulehea, as evidenced by usuage in the Commonwealths.

So there.

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN
    People? Oh yes, your multiple personality disorder. We remember now.
  • MattFalle
    edited June 2021
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

daniel_b said:

People? Oh yes, your multiple personality disorder. We remember now.
  • ibr17xvii

How much of this so called 'noise' is actually because people are riding overly stiff plastic bikes with plastic wheels each with 12 spokes at higher tension than a friendly meeting between Boris and Macron, and oversized hollow axles and wotnot. They are all acoustic transmitters.

Pretty sure that doesn’t apply to everyone.
  • First.Aspect
    ibr17xvii said:

The rest are just badly set up.
  • ibr17xvii

ibr17xvii said:

Or maybe they are correctly set up & it’s just noisy.
  • First.Aspect
    ibr17xvii said:

ibr17xvii said:

Or maybe they are correctly set up & it’s just noisy.
    In that case how is it that some of them are quiet?