Decent Covid face masks (for off the bike)

2»

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Update, just spoke with Ale and apparently the shipment
    was delayed on Friday but orders are due to be dispatched this week.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    redvision said:

Update, just spoke with Ale and apparently the shipment
    was delayed on Friday but orders are due to be dispatched this week.

Nice, if I read it correctly, it sounds like they are making no profit from them, and instead it is all going to the NHS.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    If your reason for wearing a mask in enclosed spaces is to follow government advice, then you are not primarily doing it to protect yourself, but to protect others. Almost anything will do. It's not going to stop you catching the virus but it will significantly reduce the distance exhaled droplets will travel, especially if you cough or sneeze. Just use a buff, or a scarf, or anything that doesn't trigger your asthma.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    A buff is fine, dont touch your face, dont pull it up and down or fidget with it. Wash your hands. But you wont need one unless you are going to the post office or bookies next to a care home.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Dont forget to keep your glasses on.
  • daniel_b

A buff is fine, dont touch your face, dont pull it up and down or fidget with it. Wash your hands. But you wont need one unless you are going to the post office or bookies next to a care home.

I did try a buff, as I have a few, but I just couldn't get it to retain it's position, and it just wouldn't work for me :-(
    Hoping the Ale ones turn up soon, 2 adults and a childs one on the way from Bikeinn (in theory) and I ordered 1 adult one direct from Ale, but their UK base, so see what happens there.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2020
    The one I ordered from the UK Ale site has arrived!

And very nice it is too - I expect it is as comfy as you would expect, but is nice and light, and meant to be washable, up to 20 times I believe.

Personally I am very pleased with it - the profits go to the NHS, and it's my favourite cycle clothing brand.

As I have no idea where my BikeInn ones are, I have ordered another 2 for the rest of the household, so hopefully have them by the weekend - we'll likely need a couple of sets anyway, so hopefully the BikeInn ones will turn up soon.

Those who are aware of my buying habits will be shocked to see the two ones I have bought:

" The face mask is made of an Elastane Polyester fabric. It has an anti-drop and anti-splash treatment.
    It can be washed at 40 ° with tumble drying to reactivate the anti-drop treatment or, in the absence of a dryer, reactivate with a steam iron for 5 seconds.
    It is washable up to 20 times.
    The face mask is for the exclusive use of the community, it cannot be used for sanitary use and must be used always respecting the rules of safety and social distancing.
    IT IS NOT A SURGICAL MASK.

The UK distributor Paligap and Aleclothing.com will donate profits made on each mask sold, to NHS charities. These masks have not been bought as a profit-making product."
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Mine has arrived too... sort of.
    I ordered two but only one was delivered and so currently trying to get hold of Ale again to find out where the other is.

Difficult to be critical because of the good cause aspect (as Dan B said above, profits of the face masks going to NHS charities) but the length of time delivery has taken, the missing item when delivery was made, and the difficulty in contacting them (even in the current circumstances) has put me off ordering anything from them again tbh.
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2020
    redvision said:

Mine has arrived too... sort of.
    I ordered two but only one was delivered and so currently trying to get hold of Ale again to find out where the other is.

Difficult to be critical because of the good cause aspect (as Dan B said above, profits of the face masks going to NHS charities) but the length of time delivery has taken, the missing item when delivery was made, and the difficulty in contacting them (even in the current circumstances) has put me off ordering anything from them again tbh.

Fair play, that is a pain - I have now ordered the other 2 as I said, so hopefully they will arrive soon.
    However there was no comms, no despatch info, so I had no idea what it was when it turned up today, so I see what you are saying.
    Also they used to have LOADS of stock, and lots of end of line stuff, but currently, maybe due to Covid, they have very little at all.

I shall be proudly wearing mine to a click and collect at Sainsbury's tomorrow :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,273
    Thanks guys. Don't mind a bit of a wait, as I think we'll be wearing them for quite a while.
  • daniel_b

Thanks guys. Don't mind a bit of a wait, as I think we'll be wearing them for quite a while.

Be interested to hear your feedback.

Clearly most of us will have no experience of face masks!

I wore mine for an hour or so afternoon, and it does warm up the face a bit, but I could also tell if I breathed or tried to blow out breath, I could not feel anything through the mask, so it clearly works.

Has to be said it was nice to take if off, but then I imagine we will only be wearing them on the instances when we have to go to more crowded situations.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    ^ this spambot fails the basic vocabulary test. Must reprogram.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2022
    Hey @orraloon I'm no spambot!

It's been many years since I had any spam to be fair.

*I appreciate it is likely that the spammy post you are referring to has since been deleted ;-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • orraloon
    😊 yeah, it got the requisite 5 flags. Didn't want to quote it. This forum is wide open to spammers. But try to use normal adult language above CBeebies level... bzzzt.
  • Nah, they don't give any fucks.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Nah, they don't give any fucks.

zero fucks?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,549
    Wait, what happened to the swear filter?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    monkimark said:

Using a plural disables it.
    #toptip
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    pblakeney said:

monkimark said:

#toptip
    For fucks ake. 😊
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,425
    I've been using this since COVID

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,549
    That's fucksing ridiculous.
    orraloon said:

pblakeney said:

monkimark said:

#toptip
    For fucks ake. 😊
  • Don't know which wankers overlooked that.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Ricktopian standard dress
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.