Rim tape nightmare help

Hi all,

Thought a simple job..

Got a pair of reynolds strike wheels and needed to replace rim tape as bike shop put too narrow tape on so edges where curling up and sticking to tube.

Got some Schwalbe tape 21mm,as per recommendation, tried fitting it and the tape horrible, it isn't elastic at all and it's gone all wrinkled with edges as bad as before! See pic

Any help be much appreciated ie do I need wider tape? Or any recommendations for better tape (if that possible given this stuff meant to be decent and expensive)...

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It's difficult to see because this forum makes pictures tiny, but the tape does look too narrow.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Bin it and give it two wraps of insulation tape. Much easier and works just as well.
  • It's difficult to see because this forum makes pictures tiny, but the tape does look too narrow.

That what I was thinking, it's 21mm width as per recommended from wheelset supplier...

Reckon they wrong and if so what size? 23 maybe?

Annoying as tape bloody expensive.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    You running tubes or tubeless? As long as the spoke holes are covered and the tyre mounts ok it will be fine with inner tubes.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    That what I was thinking, it's 21mm width as per recommended from wheelset supplier...

Reckon they wrong and if so what size? 23 maybe?

Annoying as tape bloody expensive.

Had some 30mm rims which came supplied with and recommended 32mm rim tape. This extra width is taken up by the central groove so it fits correctly.

• You running tubes or tubeless? As long as the spoke holes are covered and the tyre mounts ok it will be fine with inner tubes.

Currently it's tubes but the pain is that because the tape doesn't cover entirety of rim bed the sides of rim tape turn up and don't stick down properly thus gets stuck to inner tube.

I've double checked and definitely down as 21mm as inner is 17mm not including the centre dip.

I'm going to have to buy a 23mm rim tape and hope it's enough, just a bloody pain they don't tell you the "actual size of inner rim" including the dip in the bed.

• Try coating the tube with talcum powder. An old trick.